Vintage tools in use

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Vintage tools in use

Post by roycestearns »

Jeff you're right on, I know one 1800's maker that used one.

Samsonboi needs to start his own thread.

trland
Master Guide

Post by trland »

Just to add to this thread, here is the Elgin #4 lathe I mentioned in post #3. It’s up and running set up for impossible to find 4E collets of which we now have about 10 or 12. We lined up the bed with the Elgin 4 x 5 lathe to extend the beds and make it easier to exchange tailstocks and share tooling. Both of these lathes are nearly 100 years old and we’re using them for machining ferrules, cutting ferrule stations, making reel seat hardware and wood inserts, making agate rings, and making tools for rodmaking.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

Amazing lathes! Thanks for sharing that.

Jeff

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, My 10" Atlas is from 1941, so almost 80 years old. I love it! I put a quick change tool post and 5C collet closer on it. I have an old/vintage Burke B3 SN# 10220 horizontal mill with an R8 spindle. I use an R8/1" stub arbor and 2 3/4" double cut 60 or 90 degree cutters with a fixture I made for roughing. I did have an 8 foot bed and 5 foot carriage on it's 1 foot table for rough tapering, but it was pretty shaky. I removed the bed and made an adjustable head rough tapering mill. It uses a washing machine motor. I got the idea from Dickerson. I hand push like Dickerson did. I have a Rong Fu mill/drill from the mid '90's, so not vintage. Oh, I also have a really old lathe I got at the Steamboat Springs dump for $5.00. It was totally frozen in every way, but it works now. It was a lotta work. It has a tool post grinder with a 1/4 hp motor. I never use it though. I also have a vintage Dumore Tom Thumb tool post grinder I use on my Atlas. It's on there now to do ferrule stations. I do the 'vintage' 'cause it's affordable. This is forty years of bamboo rod making.

Jay Edwards
Last edited by bluesjay on 05/28/20 09:35, edited 2 times in total.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

Pictures Jay! We need pictures! That sounds like a lot of cool stuff. I would love to see Bob's shop too.

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Amazing lathes +1. Top rate set up, even love the ripped up cardboard box to capture swarf/chips.
Jay, yes we need pictures! Washing machine motor, I love that - is there anything unique about the motor that makes it better ... start up / ?

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Well, the motor was in a washing machine that went Kaput, so I salvaged it. 3/4 hp, so about enough power. It had a bunch of wires. Youtube came to my rescue, and the red/white/purples etc. all work! I think it must be capacitor start. Since I hand push I just go with what feels/sounds right.

Jay Edwards

stoneflyer
Master Guide

Post by stoneflyer »

Buying vintage can be the best. Old machines are built better than new machines and are usually cheaper. If the old machine is in good shape you are miles ahead of buying new IMO. Old machines often come with a good story that makes it more fun to use and own:

ImageUntitled by adam chow, on Flickr
Here is a myford super 7. It was owned by a British Canadian Engineer that worked for Avro Canada. He helped design the Avro Arrow.

This early 70s Emco Maximat was owned by a Titan of Canadian industry, born of Royalty, WW2 British bomber pilot shot down over France. This was 1 of 2 machines he took home when he retired in his 80s from his Billion dollar company.

This was the second machine he took home

Apparently these Hardinge ESM turret lathes were produced during 1941-4? for the war effort and probably spent its early life pumping out rivets of shells.

Clausing 8520 vertical mill. Great hobby machine. No provenance

A Standard Modern Lathe 1340. A good Canadian gear head lathe.

My recent tool a Deckel grinder

My bamboo mill I made from an old 1940s Lewis Kit horizontal mill.

Getting bit by the old machine bug is more dangerous than the bamboo bug....

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Getting bit by the old machine bug is more dangerous than the bamboo bug....
Maybe, but those are very nice machines with excellent bones!

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

In the last century I bought a used Schaublin 1/64" collet set at a tool fair. It came with a self extracting, 4 Morse taper adaptor. These are draw-bar collets, as opposed to draw-tube collets, so they were probably made for use in a jig borer rather than a lathe. I have no idea why I bought them and several times I thought of passing them on via ebay.

Some decades later I found myself in the possession of of a large bore Myford lathe, one of the last made before the Nottingham factory closed. Unlike the more common examples of this machine, which have a 2 Morse taper spindle, the later lathes have a 4 Morse taper spindle bore. My early 20th century collets (they are stamped SV which dates them to before 1946) are now back to good use helping to machine rod ferrules.

PlaneOldMike
Guide

Post by PlaneOldMike »

I haven’t used this old Myford to make anything yet. I plan on using it to help with rod making. I received it as a gift from a good friend (technically on permanent loan). I do not know the provenance of the machine previous to him owning it, but I’m sure if I ask, he will know. It needs some TLC, but it still runs nicely.

Just a guy, trying to build a tool.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, That'll be a great lathe for rod making!

Jay Edwards

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

Vintage tools, but "not" in use. Most of my rod making tools are state-of-the-art, but I do have on display in my shop this Herter's steel V block for planing strips. It's 41" long with tapered V grooves. If I ever get the urge to use it, I have the instruction booklets too, (but I don't think so..)

Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

This is one of my favorites, the Miller Falls #7 smoother, the same size as the Stanley #2s.
The tote design allows for a comfortable grip on a very small bench plane.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Chuck Jenkins had one of the Herter's forms when I visited him in the early 80's. It was kinda warped, and didn't look used. He also had three 6" Atlas lathes.

Jay Edwards

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”