Converting an Orvis Rocky Mountain Fly & Spin to Fly

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Converting an Orvis Rocky Mountain Fly & Spin to Fly

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I believe that this is the correct subform for this topic.

As what seems to be common knowledge, the Fly & Spin versions of various Orvis bamboo rods including the Rocky Mountain, share the taper of the fly rod version, while the spinning (no mention of fly) is a very different taper. Yet, the Fly & Spin models typically sell at a significant discount when compared to their fly only counterparts. I picked up this 1968 version of the fly and spin - with leather tube - a while back after I saw what the Fly only version was regularly selling for.

Here is a photo of it next to a Madison version of the Flea for visual reference

I don't believe that the rod was ever fished when I acquired it as the handle was as clean as any new rod and there was not a mark on it. Well, I purchased the rod to fish and fish it I did...but only as a fly rod. The small straight grip bothered me, so I reached out to Glenn Brackett at Sweetgrass Rods to see if he would be willing to perform a conversion for me. I wanted to keep the rear part of the original handle and the original rings, but add cork to the front so that it could be tapered similar to a superfine style of grip. Since the Fly & Spin handle is longer, I suggested that we add a hook keeper to take up some of that space. Another difference between the Fly & Spin and the standard RM is that the stripping guide is larger and the last guide on the mid is also a stripping guide, but smaller than the actual stripper. I asked Glenn to move the smaller stripper from the mid to the butt and replace it with a standard snake guide (as the last guide on the mid). Lastly, since Glenn has such great script, I asked him to add that the conversion was performed by him for me in April 2020 (my Covid Conversion). We never discussed doing anything with the bright ferrules as it was never my intent to represent the rod as something other than what it actually is, which is a damn fine fly rod and now even better in my opinion.

I am very satisfied (would anyone expect anything else from work performed by Glenn?) with the color match of the new winds and the cork grip. Other rod makers, including many who regularly contribute to this forum could likely do the work equally as well, but since I had to ship Glenn a Sweetgrass Mantra for another project (see the "got a new rod lately" thread for more on that project), it made sense to pay for shipping just once.

I'm 100% confident that I could get my money back out of this rod if I ever have too, but it will likely be the last rod that I sell, so I'm not concerned with any potential devaluing that I may have done from a collector's point of view. I would like to note that the handle on this rod was completely round, while in 1974 (maybe '73 as I don't have that catalog), the grip was changed to flat on the bottom, which would bother me even more when used as a fly rod.

The moral of the story is don't be afraid to make your rod into a better tool for your application! I was intending to have this same conversion done to a 5'9" Ultralight, but am so pleased with my other conversion, I didn't see a need to pursue the Orvis Ultralight.

Stay safe,
Joe
Last edited by NewUtahCaneAngler on 01/30/21 12:36, edited 1 time in total.

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Converting an Orvis Rocky Mountain Fly & Spin to Fly

Post by Kenneth »

Nice! I really like the new grip.

I, too, have the RM F&S, and have actually used it as a spinning rod, works pretty well. Mine's from 1971 (62xxx) so it still has the all round grip like yours originally had. Doesn't bother me much, I'm a smaller guy with smaller hands.

True what you said about the under-valuing. I got mine, in excellent condition, in 2011 for under $300. Used it lots since, what a great point and shooter, and complements my other 6-1/2' Orvis, a Flea, which is probably my all-time favorite small stream rod.

Keep safe,
Kenneth

brucetc

Post by brucetc »

Hi Kenneth and New Utah Cane Angler,

I picked up my first Orvis just today. 1955 3 piece 'Rocky' spinning. Needs work but the ferrules are good and the bamboo is straight. Two guides are broken off at the foot. Couple questions. Dave Towers (Toronto) will do the work. I am going to try and find a 1953-1955 reel seat. Also would like to make a second tip to conserve the original and will need one ferrule.

When Glenn did your conversion, how did he avoid the shadowing from the old wraps? Did you use light sanding and ammonia?
Did you impregnate the rod after stripped and then varnish the wraps?
Did you entirely remove previous Orvis writing and then replace with cursive?

Second Post,
Bruce

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Hey Bruce, my rod was a fly and spin, same taper as the fly, both of which are different from the spin. No need to cover shadows as there were none.

Cheers,
Joe

brucetc

Post by brucetc »

Thanks Joe,

This was from a set of two rods. The handle looks like the top picture with 2 rings and full wells. The butt cap is gone. I wondered
about treatment after all of the ferrules and spinning guides are removed. Prior to wrapping. Greg Reynolds sent a compete run down
of all the components with specs. Wow, what a resource to guide the restoration.

warmest,
Bruce

brucetc

Post by brucetc »

Joe and Greg, the restoration of 18305 is coming along. I will post pictures once complete. There were a few limitations. Cork is extended forward slightly. We are using black guides, blued original ferrules, original Orvis thread, added two tip sections matching taper.
Warmest,
Bruce

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I've done a few bamboo spinning rod to fly rod conversions and was well pleased with the outcome. Great small stream rods and generally crisp actions.

Your Brackett conversion is of course perfection, and anyone would be hard pressed to not see it as an original built fly rod.

brucetc

Post by brucetc »

Hello there all,

Had the Orvis Rocky Mountain 6 1/2 3 piece today. Now a 3/3. This was a 1955 Rocky Mountain spinning rod. Serial 18305. It was bought from the estate of John H. Palmer, a Toronto maker, who was a contemporary to Ted Knott. But I could only find a few references to him in one of Ted's articles as well as the American Fly Fishing Museum Journal. The higher profile Aetna guides on the mid section had snapped off at the foot. The threads were intact. Tip was severely set in an arch. The plate on the bottom of the cork was missing. There was a mend on the tip section as well. David Towers made two extra tips with the same taper and sealed those sections with oil. Slightly more sheen on the original BAKELITE impregnation. I will give the original tip its life back on some small browns this summer but preserve it. He used original Orvis thread, original ferrules, black high profile guides, MILDRUM stripper, but a Garrison style reel seat. I was looking for a used 1950's Orvis reel seat but could not locate one. This morning scribed the original text "Orvis - Impregnated" one flat to the right, and then "Rocky Mountain" one flat over again. Waiting for the text to be varnished and then test drive. I have never uploaded images but will see if I can show some detail. I am pretty sure this could handle some of the mid range Great Lakes steelhead. Arm up high just like Lee Wulff!! Lots of spine.

warmest,
Bruce

brucetc

Post by brucetc »

Hi there,

I am unsure how to upload images of this Orvis conversion.

warmest,
Bruce

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”