Baginski Beveler Design Update

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Mike McGuire
Master Guide

Baginski Beveler Design Update

Post by Mike McGuire »

I have made some changes to the design of my Baginski Beveler that a lot of people used as the starting point for making their own. What I did was to change from a lever arm anvil that sets the dimension of the cut to a dovetail slide which improves control and repeatability. Here's the old scheme

and here's the new one

More details in the article on my web site.

Mike
A Selection of my DIY Rodmaking Tools

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Baginski Beveler Design Update

Post by 3creeks »

Looks interesting. I built mine almost exactly like the one on your website. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the merits of the over-the-wheel design versus under.

Jeff

Mike McGuire
Master Guide

Post by Mike McGuire »

3creeks wrote:Looks interesting. I built mine almost exactly like the one on your website. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the merits of the over-the-wheel design versus under.

Jeff
I don't think there is likely to be much difference in the cutting of the strips. The over-the-wheel might lend itself to more efficient removal of the dust, but as I haven't seen or worked with the other variety, I couldn't say for sure.

Mike
A Selection of my DIY Rodmaking Tools

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Mine is an under the wheel variety and I find that it is easier to get consistent results. I tried an above the wheel version and I struggled with getting the gap right so that if I had to pause it wouldn't chew up the strip. I had to come up with a more elaborate dust removal system for the under wheel version and I didn't use hold-downs, nor would I since if the strip gets hung up in any way, you'll have to shut down and remove the front plate to get to it. I just make sure there is nothing on the infeed side that would get damaged if the strip flew back out. I've put a lot of strips through mine and I like it just fine.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”