Gene Edwards Blank

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

troutguy

Gene Edwards Blank

Post by troutguy »

I just bought a Gene Edwards bamboo blank. 6 foot 4wt, three piece with two tips. Bought it on eBay from a guy in Connecticut who said he bought a stash of blanks from Edwards. The workmanship looks good. Not sure if it is really an Edwards. The color is a dark honey, with random spaced nodes.

Did Edwards make a 6ft 4wt three piece? I could not find one.

How would you space the guides? Suggestions of reel seat wood and thread color. I have seen many debates on proper colors.

The first ferrule is 15/64 and the second is 10/64 and the tip is 0.070.

Thoughts?

dshx
Master Guide

Re: Gene Edwards Blank

Post by dshx »

I believe that Rick Taupier of Swift RiverFly Fishing, https://www.swiftriverflyfishing.com/, acquired Edwards blanks some time ago. In fact I purchased a 7' 3 piece blank. Rick cut it but I'm not clear if Edwards produced a 3 piece in this size - I'll let others advise. It's quite a nice rod. Rick however is in Massachusetts.

-Dwight

Santafecino
Guide

Post by Santafecino »

The blanks from Connecticut are well made and said to be by Gene Edwards without question. They resemble Gene Edwards rods I've seen--no swelled but; smooth action. I've used several of them.
--Santafecino

Livingstone
Master Guide

Post by Livingstone »

I also got the 3 piece 7' blank from Conn. and written in pencil was the blank info. FWIW the name G. Edwards was there as well and the writing looked very close to that on my 7 1/2' G. Edwards I owned. I have no idea if it means anything at all and is now under the cork and seat. I have cloned the 7' numerous times for friends and has always been well received. The blank is a caramel colour and looks good with YLI 241 thread. Livingstone.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”