Need a recommendation: digital depth gauge

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

aboehm

Need a recommendation: digital depth gauge

Post by aboehm »

Because my eyes are getting old, I’d like to begin using a digital depth gauge to set my planing form. I’ve got a very good SPI dial gauge and I’ll continue to use it to double check my settings, but I’d like to see numbers in the process of turning wrenches and setting my form. I’ve got a piece of aluminum from McMaster-Carr (1.25” x 1.25” x 3”) that I’d like to use as a base, or I can use the bases I already have. I really don’t want to invest much in this—around $50–-because I’ve got the SPI gauge. I just need a digital version threaded to take the Starrett point and maybe use the aluminum piece for the base, though I can always get another piece or use a base I already have. Recommendations?

galt
Master Guide

Re: Need a recommendation: digital depth gauge

Post by galt »

For under $50 they will all be Chinese imports. This one eats batteries but it works and the batteries can be had for pennies on ebay and the indicators I have used have worked fine. Plenty fine for setting forms.

https://www.harborfreight.com/saemetric ... 63613.html

Galt
Know the reasons for your actions

aboehm

Post by aboehm »

Galt,

Thanks and I know, they'll all come from China or elsewhere, and some will be of better quality than others. Unfortunately, I've never had good luck with anything I've bought from HF

WIHEXROD
Master Guide

Post by WIHEXROD »

I have vision issues too. Why not just use the dial indicators you have now?
What I do is use the slide marker on the edge of the dial and set the marker on the number I need to hit. Use the wrenches to get up or down to the marker.
Scott

Fcs
Guide

Post by Fcs »

One thing you have to watch for on the cheap indicators is that the stem is smaller than standard so your bases won’t fit. And The thread is different so your points won’t fit. I got one of those. I think the one from Harbor Freight is ok at least it was a couple years ago.
"Wherever the fish are, that's where we go."
Richard Wagner

galt
Master Guide

Post by galt »

Never used this one but the quality of other tools purchased here have been a good value.

https://www.shars.com/products/measurin ... icator-7-1

Galt
Know the reasons for your actions

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”