Buying second hand planing forms

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

StePhDen
Guide

Buying second hand planing forms

Post by StePhDen »

Hi All,

I’m looking at buying some planing forms to get into rod building. I’ve found a guy selling forms he got from Lon Blauvelt. I think they are the same forms that Kelly Baker now sells. Those are 60” with 0.028”-0.08” tip taper and 0.08”-0.15” butt taper. I’m new to rod building so this might be a simple question, can I make two and three section rods with these forms. And will they be big enough to make larger Spey rods?

Thanks for helping out a newbie.

JimmyB11
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Buying second hand planing forms

Post by JimmyB11 »

Finding used forms is a challenge if you see a set don't wait too long. 2 or 3 sections is no problems with these forms, any configuration of standard trout rods can and have been made in these style of forms. Large spey rods can be a challenge as the apex of the strip will hit the bolts or dowel pins, it is simply a math issue. .750" minus half the forms height is .375" minus half the dimension of the bolts or pins, whichever is larger. This can sometimes be overcome with some McGyver finnagling but the math is what it is. Fat strips and skinny forms don't work too well. If you are a newbie, start building, if you find you grow out of the forms they are super easy to sell and you can upgrade later or plunk down $800 now for forms that meet your future needs.

StePhDen
Guide

Re: Buying second hand planing forms

Post by StePhDen »

JimmyB11 wrote:Finding used forms is a challenge if you see a set don't wait too long. 2 or 3 sections is no problems with these forms, any configuration of standard trout rods can and have been made in these style of forms. Large spey rods can be a challenge as the apex of the strip will hit the bolts or dowel pins, it is simply a math issue. .750" minus half the forms height is .375" minus half the dimension of the bolts or pins, whichever is larger. This can sometimes be overcome with some McGyver finnagling but the math is what it is. Fat strips and skinny forms don't work too well. If you are a newbie, start building, if you find you grow out of the forms they are super easy to sell and you can upgrade later or plunk down $800 now for forms that meet your future needs.
Thanks, that helps a lot! I'll go ahead and grab them then.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”