Jenkins 8-Footer Grip Issue

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Jenkins 8-Footer Grip Issue

Post by billems »

My favorite rod was a Jenkins 8-Footer I bought in '94. Necessity forced me to sell it during the last recession. Things improved, and late this winter I was thrilled to buy a Jenkins 8 ft. 5 weight, my favorite.

But there was a slight difference in this rod, which I hadn't noticed before purchasing it online. It has a 6 1/2 inch grip that tapers up from the bottom and gets fatter at the top, which is the classic cigar style. My other rod had a six-incher that Jenkins called a bullet-grip. This grip isn't comfortable for me. I like to feel the whole of the grip. with even pressure along the width of my hand. Forgive my dearth of knowledge, but is it expensive or difficult to replace the grip?

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Jenkins 8-Footer Grip Issue

Post by headwaters »

I've never owned a Jenkins rod; however, I've had grips replaced on a number of rods. It's not expensive . . . in fact, it's usually a quite modest expense.
Last edited by headwaters on 05/30/20 18:49, edited 1 time in total.

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

From your description it sounds as though it might well be possible to just reshape the current grip. If I’m mistaken accept my apologies. Reshaping the grip is not a big job at all for anyone with a full sized lathe. It shouldn’t take more than an hour or two including setup and cleanup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J1973s
Sport

Post by J1973s »

canerodscom wrote:From your description it sounds as though it might well be possible to just reshape the current grip. If I’m mistaken accept my apologies. Reshaping the grip is not a big job at all for anyone with a full sized lathe. It shouldn’t take more than an hour or two including setup and cleanup.

+1
You can also reshape the grip w a file and a few grades of sandpaper if you’re careful.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alberta al
Master Guide

Post by alberta al »

Wouldn’t that be a ritz style grip?

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”