Experiment in cork substitute

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

trland
Master Guide

Experiment in cork substitute

Post by trland »

Not for everyone's taste but it was worth a try. A bit heavier than cork.

galt
Master Guide

Re: Experiment in cork substitute

Post by galt »

What are your impressions, opinions, thoughts?

Galt
Know the reasons for your actions

trland
Master Guide

Post by trland »

Well, it's not bad. It's fairly smooth but not quite the same as well sanded cork but we didn't try to sand it finer than what we use on cork. It feels OK but a bit firm as it has less give than cork. It certainly should be very waterproof as we used Titebond III and the rings are very dense. If I had to say which would hold up longer to water and hard use, I would definitely give this the nod. I don't think it would absorb oils and grime the way cork does. It takes a bit of prep to get rings since you have to first drill a hole, then cut off the end, then sand them to a consistent thickness but the upside is every ring is usable and to get a perfect handle there's no voids to worry about. The price is right too at about 50 cents a ring. It take a little more work to shape because of the density but it wasn't too much different than shaping cork. I don't think it would fool anyone that it is perfect cork and not something else but from 10 feet away it might pass for cork at first glance. And if you're going for a lightweight rod, it's definitely not the material to use. If I remember correctly the final grip is about an ounce heavier than the same grip in cork. If anyone's interested, I can weigh a ring compared to cork.

galt
Master Guide

Post by galt »

Thanks for the review!

Galt
Know the reasons for your actions

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”