karma ,as it relates to bamboo rod restoration

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

tapermaker
Master Guide

karma ,as it relates to bamboo rod restoration

Post by tapermaker »

Recently completed a restoration on a Catskill 7' 3/2 Leonard . The rod had extensive damage to the butt section . The section had a scarf above the desiccated grip and the ferrule which was fully wrapped covered a hole caused by a dremil tool used to remove cane from inside the ferrule. I sent the ferrule to Dwight Lyons to see if he could make me a new one . Instead he repaired the hole and saved the ferrule w/ the pat.#.Dwight can always be depended upon to give you his best effort. The scarf repair was not correct in dimension and the grip was toast ,so i made a new butt section. The mid was all original and in great shape . the tips were a mixed bag . one tip was original and in great shape but for 3" missing from the tip. i scarfed it. the second tip was not original and was not the right color . The node placement was not correct either . I made a second tip w/ correct nodes and shading. If there is such a thing as karma , I hope bringing these rods back to a useful fishing tool brings me a bunch. Nothing in this business brings me greater pleasure , Below are photos of damage to ferrule and finished rod.

Santafecino
Guide

Re: karma ,as it relates to bamboo rod restoration

Post by Santafecino »

Dennis--
This is wonderful work, and I think the proper term is reincarnation. I am so glad that Dwight had a part in making a Leonard out of a handful of tomato stakes. You can be sure that this rod will be fished with extreme care and respect for the efforts that went into it, both in the 1930's and just last week.
All the best,
--Lindsay

sodbank
Master Guide

Re: karma ,as it relates to bamboo rod restoration

Post by sodbank »

Dennis , Beautiful work! Nice to bring that rod back to
fishing condition. Surely good karma coming your way.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”