South bend 359 needs major repairs

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Hmmm

South bend 359 needs major repairs

Post by Hmmm »

My grandfather's South Bend 359 8'6" rod needs major repairs.

It was on top os a car, fell off on the roadway and was probably run over at least once before we got back to get it. Almost a ground up rebuild probably. Anyone do this work? Beyond the sentimental value, is it worth it to do so?

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: South bend 359 needs major repairs

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Not worth repairing from a purly practical or financial point of view. Treat it like a broken glass.

Skimpole
Sport

Post by Skimpole »

It doesn't sound likely. But you might load photos of all sections side by side in case the story sounds worse than the actual damage.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Hi Hmm,

I actually have a SB #346, which is the same taper, but a higher grade than your rod. If your ferrules are in good shape (look closely for cracks) you could likely get a good working rod from ours combined. Mine is missing all ferrules and the reel seat. These were and are not expensive rods. You can buy a good working one for two tips with sock and case for $150 or under. The bamboo on mine is in great condition. LMK if you are interested in pursuing this. I'd let mine go for $85 shipped CONUS.

Cheers,
Joe

Hmmm

Post by Hmmm »

Thanks for the inputs everyone. The cork is completely gone. The reels seat is ok. The ferrules are good. The guides are.mostly gone, but the tip is in place. The tip section is broken about 4-6 inches from the tip. I'll try to get pics loaded.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

I've a good butt section ,359-8 1/2', if your interested. Pm me if so.

Hmmm

Post by Hmmm »

Thanks everyone for the advice and offer of parts. If I decide to try and rebuid it I'll reach out to you guys.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”