Making brass end caps for rod tubes

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

ttroutt
Guide

Making brass end caps for rod tubes

Post by ttroutt »

Hi everyone. I'm curious as to those of you who make or have made brass end caps, both top and bottom, what method do you use for making them? Do you use brass tubing and turn a thin cap from a solid drawn rod and press it in to the stepped recess, or turn the whole cap from a solid bar? Certainly turning one from the solid bar requires fewer steps and less time on the lathe, but with a lot more waste. So I guess I'm asking this more for economic reasons due to the cost of brass nowadays or is time vs material not a such big factor.

Thanks,
Jim O
Last edited by ttroutt on 06/02/20 07:06, edited 1 time in total.

fishbum
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Making brass end caps

Post by fishbum »

I don't make many from brass but when I do I draw them from sheet brass. I prefer NS over brass. If you attempt to draw them from sheet I would recommend using cartridge brass.

Jerry

ttroutt
Guide

Post by ttroutt »

I don't have the means of drawing from sheet brass, I am making them on my small lathe.

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

removed
Last edited by kermit on 06/02/20 08:46, edited 1 time in total.
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

ttroutt
Guide

Post by ttroutt »

Dan, Jerry, thanks for the input. I don't make that many, that's why I've been making them on my lathe, but if I decide to make them in some quantity, I'll invest in a dies and a press.

Thanks guys.

Jim

ttroutt
Guide

Re: Making brass end caps for rod tubes

Post by ttroutt »

Whoa, time out. I just realized that we are not talking about the same thing. I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes. I adjusted the title of the post to reflect what I was actually looking to get responses for.
Dan, Jerry, after looking at the photos, it hit me that you were referring to reel seat end caps, I'm talking about rod tube end caps that can be threaded, sorry for the miscommunication.

A clear case of ITTYTWIT on my part. I thought that you thought what I thought. The grey cells are getting tired.

Jim

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”