Gap in blank edge

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Ejwitman

Gap in blank edge

Post by Ejwitman »

Yesterday I had a slip when cutting my tape during glue up. I caught edge of one of splines with razor. I took a splinter that is very small but noticeable. My father was a very talented cabinet maker. I one asked him what made him so good. He said “ the difference between a great carpenter and a good carpenter is a great carpenter knows how to hide his mistake”😄. So to all you great rod builders what is best way to fix this mistake? It is a blond rod. Fire place is not an option nor unconstructive criticism which I have seen in previous posts.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Gap in blank edge

Post by Gnome »

for what it is worth; I had an edge splinter on one of my TYCOON flat laminate prototypes and this happened about 5 miles into a 9-mile float so I grabbed my Zap-a-Gap glue and a piece of 6X tippet and glued it back and wrapped it with the tippet material. (caught at least 6 more browns after this happened with a 17" brown and I landed him with a 7" long splinter below the female ferrule on the butt) ended up pulling the tippet material off and fished the rod for a year before it let loose again, the prototype was fished extremely hard and to the point of failure like a good proto should have done to it. Glue a blond sliver in with your choice of glue and finish the blank out. We tend to make mountains out of molehills.

Ejwitman

Post by Ejwitman »

Thanks gnome. I will be in touch soon about the thomas winding check/hook keeper. I was think more like a fill. Titebond would dry a little darker than blond. Gorilla would have a porous look but splinter area is about 15mm x .25 mm so not very big. Could try to match some kind of wood stick. Just was wondering if these kind of options have been tried.

tapermaker
Master Guide

Post by tapermaker »

If i had that happen i would take a razor to a unused spline from the same culm and cut me off a small patch i would glue and bind it for a day then take some 320 super fine sand paper and form it to the gouge. you will find if you do it slow ,the patch will blend right in ,I would say it is as solid of a fix possible. A slight dig would not effect casting at all i would think. If you are concerned, you could over wrap it ,or move the guide over the top of the repair,

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Dennis said it better than me! happy to do a WC for you!

DonT
Master Guide

Post by DonT »

If you do what Dennis suggested, odds are no one will ever notice it but you.
Don Titterington
Desert Canyon Rods
West Linn, OR
Repairs/Renovations
Custom Builds

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

anyone looking that close should have to put one of their rods up for a microscopic inspection as well, this Was at an SRG gathering when an established maker started tearing into a rod and what its faults were and he got really quiet when I suggested that if we are going to critique a rod on that level without the maker being there to defend himself maybe we should grab one each of rods made by us and compare them at that level (He was putting down the work of another maker and that was driven by jealousy IMHO!)

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”