is this ferrule pinned ? Norm Thompson/Farlows/Aberdeen

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Doug K
Master Guide

is this ferrule pinned ? Norm Thompson/Farlows/Aberdeen

Post by Doug K »

Made by Farlows in Aberdeen Scotland for Norm Thompson, 7' 10 3/4" which seems an oddly specific length..

one tip with a fracture I think I can glue back, the other has a clicking ferrule. A third tip about a foot short, with a clearly pinned ferrule, half blind pin. The South Bends I've refurbished so far had glue only so I haven't had to deal with pins before. I didn't think these were pinned until looking at the third tip.
All the ferrules have different numbers, 22 on the female, 32B on the clicker, etc.

I cleaned up the clicking ferrule a bit with fine sandpaper but still can't see any pin. So thought I'd ask - does anyone know one way or the other, if these ferrules were usually pinned ?

6tUc05
Master Guide

Re: is this ferrule pinned ? Norm Thompson/Farlows/Aberdeen

Post by 6tUc05 »

As the masters have not responded, I will take a stab at it. To make a determination from photos, very clear photos of each flat would be needed. the ideal would be to have it "in hand". IMHO, to make a determination based solely on who the maker was, and a single photo, would be nothing more than a "guess". Perhaps a careful examination using a magnifying glass will shed light on the question.

Doug K
Master Guide

Post by Doug K »

thanks.. I can't see anything, squint as I might, so guess I'll just try a little heat and hope..

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Try some 0000 steel wool to shine it up a bit. Watch out for undersizing with sandpaper or steel wool. If you can't see it then use magic marker to see if it shows up. Drill a hole in a piece of preferably hardwood that is the size of the bamboo and cut the wood so it divides the hole. That's your 'puller.' Since the male doesn't have a shoulder it can be tough. Heat-pull-heat-pull-heat-pull....... Blind pins suck, but sometimes you can push them in out of the way.

Jay Edwards

Doug K
Master Guide

Post by Doug K »

well it wasn't pinned, but it was the most stubborn ferrule I've met yet..

Cleaned, blued, magic-markered, squinted at it through several different magnifying glasses, and generally obsessed about it for a month or so before deciding it wasn't pinned.
It took about 40 cycles of heat/quench in a pot of water filled with snow. The cane under the ferrule burned a bit before it loosened finally.
On the first heat, the four tangs all went 'spanggg..' cracked and flew off in various directions. Found three of them.

Good news is the cane was a bit blackened but sound, and I was able to match the thread colors from the spools I already had laying around.

Repaired the smashed bit on the other tip with Titebond III, an overwrap of the main break and intermediate wraps to the end of the cracks.
Flexcoat light epoxy without thinning with Danvilles white nylon A thread - the repair wrap came out bright white, the epoxy worked as a color preserver apparently..
On other threads the flexcoat seems to penetrate and behave as expected, the ferrule wrap worked fine. Odd.
Being lazy I used a furniture wood touch-up marker oak colour, to mark over the bright white and dull it down a bit.

Fished the repaired tip on the lower end of the Deckers part of the S. Platte. There aren't many fish here and they aren't very big, on the plus side sometimes you can have a whole pool all to yourself on this stretch, even on a weekend.

Rod works well with a 5wt though I think we'll be happier with a 6wt. This is the first impregnated rod I've cast, it seems significantly faster than my South Bends.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”