reconditioning dry cork, and prevention?

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

CouleeCountryCane
Guide

reconditioning dry cork, and prevention?

Post by CouleeCountryCane »

Did a quick search, but did not find a thread on a topic that I'm sure has been addressed by those on this forum: 1) how to address, if possible, dry cork, and 2) how to prevent drying for the future?

I seem to remember a light application of baby oil as a preventative solution, but have thought it best to ask before trying anything. And I'll review any recommendations from Kirk and Sinclair, too. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. --Tom

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Re: reconditioning dry cork, and prevention?

Post by kevinhaney1 »

I too would be interested in the answer to this question. Another related one is, what is the best material to fill gaps in cork with. Been using wood putty.
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

CouleeCountryCane
Guide

The Mudhole site recommends Elmer’s Carpenter’s Wood Filler to fill in pitting in cork grips; people who want to recondition the cork on their Birkenstock sandals recommend Kelly's Cork Renew, a cork sealer.

Trout120-1
Master Guide

Post by Trout120-1 »

Elmer's Probond wood filler is the perfect filler to use on your cork. Buy the "Golden Oak" color. It fits right in. It's for interior and exterior work.

6tUc05
Master Guide

Post by 6tUc05 »

Cork "sanding dust" and white glue work quite well. Make a thick "paste" and apply.

CouleeCountryCane
Guide

Thanks 6tUc05 and Trout120-1 for suggestions to fill in pitting in the cork. According to Stuart Kirk, steaming can take out dents or depressions in the cork. Will steaming, or another method, revive a cork grip that has begun to dry out?

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

In my opinion and experience cork does not 'dry out'. I have rods going back over 100years -the cork does not show any signs of drying out at all. Not something to worry about I would say, little need for application of any so called conditioners or sealers.

Malcolm

6tUc05
Master Guide

Post by 6tUc05 »

To the best of my knowledge, cork does not "dry out". Think bottles of wine that may be 100 years old, or older, stoppered with cork, and they don't/haven't leak(ed)! Seems only reasonable to me that if cork "dried out", it would not be used to stopper wine bottles.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

wine corks stay viable only if the bottle is inverted or on a slope allowing the wine to keep the cork "wet", how many bottles of wine have turned to vinegar due to the cork drying out due to improper storage? Lots !! cork will dry out and deteriorate. replacing the moisture content in that closed cellular structure does not happen very easily.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

I don't think that dry cork is repairable, it's not like leather that can be replenished when dry. It starts to crumble. I have also never found a filler that stays in with maybe the exception of epoxy and cork dust. But that looks awful and in my opinion it's better to leave it alone.

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Yes, for all of these reasons and More, I much prefer the old style solid wooden handles. I guess I’m in a permanent minority on that… In my opinion, they give you a much beer feel for what the rod is doing. Cork just deadens it.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

Gnome, good point. in the wine cellars corks are replaced as they deteriorated about every 25 years.

6tUc05
Master Guide

Post by 6tUc05 »

wine corks stay viable only if the bottle is inverted or on a slope allowing the wine to keep the cork "wet", how many bottles of wine have turned to vinegar due to the cork drying out due to improper storage? Lots !! cork will dry out and deteriorate. replacing the moisture content in that closed cellular structure does not happen very easily.

Jeff...

For your edification, there are those in wine storage research who will argue with you that storing bottled wine on it's side may, in fact, do MORE HARM THAN GOOD! See Cabral, et al., 2005!

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

6tUc05

not talking wine here (I used that as an example to show how cork can and does deteriorate) we are talking cork and what happens to it over time. I would be happy to show you how bad dryed out cork can get, just come visit the GTRS someday. And Kudos to Kevin!!! Cork is natures finest dampening agent that we know of and it sure does take feel away due to its closed cellular structure. wheras a solid grip transmits feel much better,

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Cork is natures finest dampening agent that we know of and it sure does take feel away due to its closed cellular structure. wheras a solid grip transmits feel much better,
Righto! Now all we have to do is form a movement to bring back Greenhart as the preeminent flyrod material. All you have to do is pledge to forever give up all of those newfangled rod materials like glued up sticks of trout grass. Who’s with me? :wave

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Can I get an Amen? What, nobody???? [sound of crickets chirping...]

6tUc05
Master Guide

Post by 6tUc05 »

"not talking wine here (I used that as an example to show how cork can and does deteriorate) we are talking cork and what happens to it over time. I would be happy to show you how bad dryed out cork can get, just come visit the GTRS someday. And Kudos to Kevin!!! Cork is natures finest dampening agent that we know of and it sure does take feel away due to its closed cellular structure. wheras a solid grip transmits feel much better,"

Sounds like a typical bureaucratic response to me. For your edification, during my 80345 days on this old ball, I too have seen a thing or two in my life; including dried-out cork. Thanks for the invitation anyway. Moreover, current thinking on wine stoppers is that the humidity in the air in the headspace is sufficient to keep the cork from drying out in the lower portion of the stopper. Ergo, if this is true, then for those who keep their cork-handled fly rods in a rather humid environment, drying out of the cork should NOT be a problem.

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

After all of these years, I would be interested to see what 'dried out cork' on a fishing rod handle actually looks like. There may be of course the old 'ridged' cork, indicating usually that the rings/ shives were overly compressed when glued; although dried, crumbling and brittle...I have yet to see or experience after almost 30 years of rod-making. Then there may well be cork of dubious quality used, which distorts/ contracts over time.

I was once asked to make a 'corporate' fly rod for the Jelinek Cork Co. who make every cork product imaginable, from fabric to marine decking, including the very best rings (in my experience) for fishing rod handles. Perusing their extensive website, there is no mention of products required to 'maintain and condition' what they produce, and if there was a need they would surely address it.

As far as I am concerned, cork remains the very best material to make fishing rod handles of, for both function and appearance. Many of my rods have longer handles (beyond single handed trout)- spinning rods, carp (type), bait-casting and double handed spey style fly rods; the prospect of making such long handles out of solid wood would be daunting at best- having a stiff baseball bat (type) handle with a rod attached at the front end..would be (I would say) an impossible and pointless prospect.

http://www.corkstore.com

Malcolm

6tUc05
Master Guide

Post by 6tUc05 »

Not knowing where you live, my guess is that the humidity in your area is sufficient to prevent drying out. It is typical for the moisture in woods to be in equilibrium with your ambient humidity. A woodworkers "standard moisture meter" would tell you the moisture content of your cork, and your local weather station should be able to provide you with daily humidity levels for your area. Between the two, you should be able to figure out why you are not seeing "dried out" cork.

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

Having started off in the UK, I moved to Toronto, Canada some 35 years ago where the summers can (at times) be humid and the winters very dry. In any case, I run a de-humidifier in my basement for the benefit of my store of bamboo down there, during the warmer months, where my boxes of cork also reside.

Malcolm

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”