South Bend 336 reel seat

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Scarfed Mind
Sport

South Bend 336 reel seat

Post by Scarfed Mind »

Has anyone seen a reel seat like this on a SB? I am thinking it was an add-on. It will only accept the thinnest of reel feet. The rod casts a 7 DT beautifully, and handles an 8 WF decently, so tiny reels don’t cut it. I thought I read that pre war SB reel seats were all up locking, which means this would be a replacement.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: South Bend 336 reel seat

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I just replaced one of those on a SB. They just don't work.........

Jay Edwards

Scarfed Mind
Sport

Post by Scarfed Mind »

So that is the standard reel seat. What could they have been thinking? Only a pop sickle stick fits in the upper screw lock. Other than that, a very fine rod. Lovely wraps on it as well, but only 8 guides on the 8 1/2'. I read someone identified the 336 as a 5 wt, but mine, an 18/fat 11 ferrule, is definitely a 7 wt, and a damn good one. This looks like a rod I will dial in for the fishing I want to do with it, and forego originality.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I don't know what they could have been thinking. I had two of the reel seats, and couldn't get either one to do anything. I had another type of SB seat which I used.

Jay Edwards

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

It seems like an oversight to most of us but (and this is without having a catalog in front of me) I think most of South Bend's fly reels utilized a stamping for the foot, one that would fit all their reel seats.
Conversely, I have a letter from Pflueger to a complaining Australian importer suggesting that they reconsider and make some changes to their tackle to accommodate the too-wide Medalist foot, one that has been mangling fine nickel-silver sliding bands for nearly a century. That's why there's a market for One Pfoot.
There's no one-size-fits-all solution, unfortunately.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Scarfed Mind wrote:
09/13/20 16:17

Has anyone seen a reel seat like this on a SB? I am thinking it was an add-on. It will only accept the thinnest of reel feet. The rod casts a 7 DT beautifully, and handles an 8 WF decently, so tiny reels don’t cut it. I thought I read that pre war SB reel seats were all up locking, which means this would be a replacement.
Most pre-war reel seats were down-locking. Check out the catalog images.
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=99151

Scarfed Mind
Sport

Post by Scarfed Mind »

Thanks for the information. Not sure what a stamping is, but it apparently makes the reel foot thin enough to fit in the this SB reel foot. Looks like I will be replacing the seat as I want to use a modern disc drag reel.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”