Replacing cork rod handle

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

carl otto
Master Guide

Replacing cork rod handle

Post by carl otto »

Need some help. Never had to do this in all these years and not one to ignore this resource. Could some of you good knowledgeable folks direct me to a site or explanation which properly explains this process? Does one have to strip off all the guides and wraps? Or come at it from the removing the reel seat? I have had persons propose both without much detail.

Many thanks in advance for your replies.

Carl @ Wanigas Rod Company

kilgore
Master Guide

Re: Replacing cork rod handle

Post by kilgore »

Do you mean just the grip or grip and reel seat?

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Carl

FWIW a proper replacement would require the butt to be stripped back to the reel seat with the RS left in place, IMHO. that way you are not coming onto a taper with a large hole and expecting it to fit tight at the upper end where it is smaller due to taper.

2 copper pieces from da cave

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

kilgore wrote:
09/15/20 08:46
Do you mean just the grip or grip and reel seat?
I'm reading it to mean "just the cork portion of the grip".

And Jeff's advice makes sense to me. Most rods, it's the stripping guide, maybe one other, winding check and hook keeper to take off, no? If the reel seat is tight it also gives you something to butt/clamp the new rings to.

If the reel seat is loose or needs replacing, I'd guess it's either way works.

Skimpole
Sport

Post by Skimpole »

If the taper goes all the way to the reel seat, then the reaming of the new grip corresponds to that and you slide it down from the ferrule side. This is typical. However, I have seen 9' South Bend rods with 6" comficient grips where the top 2 " of the cork grip was over the taper as usual, but the bottom 4 " was uniformly turned by lathe smaller. Unfortunately that means in order to prevent gaps, you need to go in from both ends. Yours is not likely similar, but only removing the old grip first will tell.

tapermaker
Master Guide

Post by tapermaker »

i have offered for years to replace the grip w/o removal of guides or seat .i split whatever amt of cork rings needed for replacement.i start by wrapping a 3 ft length of binding thread at the base leaving it to dangle as i place the rings with staggard splits glueing them into place . i take the binding thread and wrap it up the grip as i go to keep them tight(disappearing the cut in the rings. once they are all in place i put it in a clamp and wait a day before turning it to correct shape and size. i have one customer that has sent me over 25 rod butts to replace in this manner. .i just finished a cross double built ,and a leonard last week for another fellow.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

Dennis, that is a good way of doing it. Stagger the splits, good glue on every, no reason to not be structurally sound.

tapermaker
Master Guide

Post by tapermaker »

Mer, yes it works well .the only trick is keeping the bore close to the butt diameter on ea. ring .some need three different bits for one grip. keeping it close is critical to success.

mrampant
Master Guide

Post by mrampant »

Would a wood glue like Tite Bond 3 be adequate? Or do you use an epoxy?
Cheers
He who shall not be able to make a trout fly, after studying these diagrams and directions, must be deficient either in brains or in manual dexterity. : Edward Fitzgibbon 1853

mrampant
Master Guide

Post by mrampant »

I am about to do the same thing on a wading staff that has marker wraps and metal ends before and after the existing cork handle. Removing the metal ends does not look an easy fix.
Cheers, Mark
He who shall not be able to make a trout fly, after studying these diagrams and directions, must be deficient either in brains or in manual dexterity. : Edward Fitzgibbon 1853

tapermaker
Master Guide

Post by tapermaker »

i use tight bond 3

mrampant
Master Guide

Post by mrampant »

Thanks for that.
Cheers

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

Rings can also be reamed to size off then broken In half, then glued On t he blank, secured in place with some type of binding cord. Similar to described above. Breaking the rings half as opposed to cutting them allows the two cork sections to stay in place a bit better. Kind of like a jigsaw puzzle piece.
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

LeeO wrote:
09/17/20 06:29
Rings can also be reamed to size off then broken In half, then glued On t he blank, secured in place with some type of binding cord. Similar to described above. Breaking the rings half as opposed to cutting them allows the two cork sections to stay in place a bit better. Kind of like a jigsaw puzzle piece.
Kind of like they do on connecting rods for the bearing end. Nice.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”