Node Spacing in Culms

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Justin Parker
Sport

Node Spacing in Culms

Post by Justin Parker »

Hello all, new rod-builder here!

In selecting a raw bamboo culm, what is the desired spacing between the nodes?

Example:
I want bamboo that's roughly 6" in circumference and I want 12" of space between each node.

There is a large area of bamboo that's near me. I doubt its of tonkin cane, but it is large cane growing as tall as trees.
Id like to make a rod using the bamboo I have near me before I order tonkin offline. More so for practice.

Thank you for the help!!

:pipe

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Node Spacing in Culms

Post by Canewrap »

Justin, there aren't a lot of suppliers out there, but Ideally about 12 to 14 inches between nodes, but if you can get wider it is better. Most culms are going to be 2 to 2 1/4" in diameter.

Justin Parker
Sport

Post by Justin Parker »

Canewrap wrote:
09/17/20 20:37
Justin, there aren't a lot of suppliers out there, but Ideally about 12 to 14 inches between nodes, but if you can get wider it is better. Most culms are going to be 2 to 2 1/4" in diameter.
Thank you CANEWRAP for the response! Very helpful to know.
Cheers
:skoal

DonT
Master Guide

Post by DonT »

FWIW on Tonkin, the nodes get further and further apart as you move up from the butt. Most of us just adjust for what we have in hand by putting thought into how to space out the node staggers as we cut apart the culms before final splitting. All this is covered in detail in any of the rod building books. Culms are sorted and sold by how few blemishes they have and the quality of the power fiber density, not by the node spacing. Not sure this really helps you but those are the pertinent facts.
Don Titterington
Desert Canyon Rods
West Linn, OR
Repairs/Renovations
Custom Builds

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

Maybe post pictures here of the sawn end of your local bamboo, making sure the fiber depth is visible?
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

Justin Parker
Sport

Post by Justin Parker »

DonT wrote:
09/17/20 22:32
FWIW on Tonkin, the nodes get further and further apart as you move up from the butt. Most of us just adjust for what we have in hand by putting thought into how to space out the node staggers as we cut apart the culms before final splitting. All this is covered in detail in any of the rod building books. Culms are sorted and sold by how few blemishes they have and the quality of the power fiber density, not by the node spacing. Not sure this really helps you but those are the pertinent facts.
I have some books otw I've ordered. This is good information to know. I'm glad I asked this question. I was just thinking: nodes = weakness. Therefore, you'd want more space in between, meaning less nodes in the bamboo you're working with.
Thank you for the reply! Very helpful. I'm still learning so much as I'm just starting out.
Cheers!

Justin Parker
Sport

Post by Justin Parker »

samsonboi wrote:
09/17/20 22:53
Maybe post pictures here of the sawn end of your local bamboo, making sure the fiber depth is visible?
Will do. Thank you for the response!
What is the preferred fiber depth?
I know there's so many types of bamboo. Maybe someone could help identify what species it is.
Cheers!

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

Note that the Tonkin cane sold for garden stakes - the largest sizes, around 35 mm diameter - can also be used for split bamboo rods. IF the supplier will let you select cane from their stock. Check for straightness, weight (very important - weight per unit length and diameter translates roughly to fiber density), absence of scorch marks, blemishes. The longer, the better, so you know you're getting the entire culm.

It won't be as cosmetically flawless as selected rod cane, and you will not be able to make as many rods from a culm as from a 5-6 cm diameter culm, but functionally, it should be on a par. Again, that is if you can select (or have a need for lots of tomato stakes as well - in that case just buy a bunch; they usually come in bunches of 20, and every bunch normally has at least one culm suitable for rod building...)

eapling
Guide

Post by eapling »

How do you know the garden cane is tonkin origin?

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

eapling wrote:
09/19/20 10:11
How do you know the garden cane is tonkin origin?
When I first began making rods, I purchased "garden" cane in the US which was sold as Tonkin. It was a bit small in diameter, but made a good rod and was, other than in diameter, identical with cane bought from Andy Royer. So, if it wasn't Tonkin, it was a darn good copy!

Rolf Baginski's book mentions buying Tonkin from a non-rod maker source in Europe, so the situation I found in the US was the same as Rolf had in Europe.

Tim

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”