Bandsaw Recommendations

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

dorenac
Master Guide

Bandsaw Recommendations

Post by dorenac »

It's time to add a bandsaw to my shop. There are the many choices in the 10"-14" range for a bench model. There's Jet, Grizzly, Rikon, Delta, etc. I have an old Jet which doesn't run too well and in trying to fix it I'm discovering IMHO that it isn't engineered too well. So that may be my last choice. It's difficult to work on. And some parts are obsolete now, too. I do some resawing, I will make a jig to cut bamboo strips, and just routine shop chores that pop up. What are you guys using and how well and easy to change out blades and set up?

GrayHackleRods
Master Guide

Re: Bandsaw Recommendations

Post by GrayHackleRods »

I’ve got a Shop Fox, made by Jet, that has served me well. Blades are readily available, I prefer wavy tooth for cutting bamboo, and setup from one blade to another is quite quick and easy. I considered other band saws but the blade tensioning setup was my biggest concern. Having used smaller band saws before I learned that if the blade isn’t twangy tight the strips won’t be even width. I’ve sawed something like 75 culms, gone through 6 blades doing it, band saw works great.
Regards,
Lee
http://www.grayhacklerods.net
lee@grayhacklerods.net
Monument, CO
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm.
Patrick F. McManus

bmwmoa67707
Master Guide

Post by bmwmoa67707 »

About 5 years ago I bought a Grizzly G0555 band saw, 14 inch to saw bamboo strips. Lee advised to get the wavy tooth blades from Ellis Saw. Works very well. In the interest of full disclosure, I now, in my "retirement" at 74, am a part time salesman in the Grizzly Showroom in Springfield Missouri. Was self employed for the last 51 years in my gun, guitar and pawn shop in Aurora Mo. Just couldn't stand not being around people, and selling tools to people from all over the country is really enjoyable, and I'm back having fun! I sell a lot of band saws, an IMHO, the 14 inch G0555 series is just about perfect for bamboo strips. The price is modest also, currently around $625. A really good saw for the money, and the footprint doesn't take up much floor space in the shop. Like Lee said, keep the blade "twangy" tight and you will get good straight cuts.
Steve

ps.....this was supposed to be a one or two day a week part time job, but it started out at four days a week and still is four days a week.....kind of cuts into my fishing and building time........

one more ps.....Lee makes a great band saw jig for sawing strips, attaching to your band saw table that works wonderfully! I would not be without it.

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

My only recommendation is get the biggest throat size you can comfortably fit in your shop that also meets your power requirements and budget. I've got an 18" 220 VAC Grizzly band saw that I use, and occasionally use it on projects other than rodmaking. There've been a few times I wished the throat size was even larger on some projects I was working on and ended up having to take the projects to a friend's shop and using his table saw to get them cut.

A bandsaw is great for a lot of things, but it doesn't do all things.

Mark

dorenac
Master Guide

Post by dorenac »

It sounds from the responses here that a floor model is best. There are space limitations in my shop and so I will have to look for the best bench type that I can find. Adjustments i.e. blade tensioning, alignment, and ease of blade change are priorities. As I mentioned in my first post I build nodeless so consequently the length of strips will be short, if that makes a difference.

GrayHackleRods
Master Guide

Post by GrayHackleRods »

Mark makes a good point regarding throat size. My 14” floor Shop Fox has a 6” throat and there have been a few times I’ve had to revert to a sawzall to cut down a piece of burl so that I could cut it on the band saw. I do have the option to purchase an extension that will give me 12” of throat however I’ve got too many blades that would need to be replaced.
Regards,
Lee
http://www.grayhacklerods.net
lee@grayhacklerods.net
Monument, CO
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm.
Patrick F. McManus

Bill Moschler
Guide

Post by Bill Moschler »

My experience is that 14" wheels are better for blade life than the smaller 10" and 12" wheels. You have to run thin, soft blades on the little wheels. Blade quality and blade guides are important. I sprung for a set of Carter roller guides years ago and have not been sorry. I am not a rodbuilder. For me it is well worth the space for a floor mounted 14" saw. Mine is on a mobile base.

galt
Master Guide

Post by galt »

FYI,

Throat, on a band saw, refers to the distance between the blade and the frame, or how wide of a cut it can take. Height of cut is the distance between the table and the underside of the top blade guide at maximum adjustment.

The success of any band saw design, bench-top or floor, is directly proportional to the overall rigidity of the tool. For ripping cane with bench top tool, a tool with less capacity of cut but more rigidity of frame and guides would be superior to throat capacity or height of cut considering a culm may max out at 3" diameter. If your intent is dual purpose with curved cuts in mind, then you will have to make concessions.

Galt
Know the reasons for your actions

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

Try to find a used Delta 14", older style. It'll do you just fine, it's not a bench-top model but I'm betting you'll like it.

Mines 40 yrs old and does most of what I need, save for re-sawing planks of any width. I nearly bought a Laguna for that but that's not what you're after here in our hobby.

FYI - I've had great results with these blades too. Important as much as proper tensioning etc.
https://carterproducts.com/band-saw-pro ... saw-blades

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”