Reel seat pin help needed

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Jcrouse
Guide

Post by Jcrouse »

How do I tackle removing this? I’m assuming that it is pinning the butt section together however I can’t get under it to pry on it. Any help would be appreciated, I don’t want to screw this seat up!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jcrouse
Guide

Post by Jcrouse »

Solved it. Now my next question is... are these Brad nails of some sort? Anyone know the size of so? Thanks in advance.

GrayHackleRods
Master Guide

Re: Reel seat pin help needed

Post by GrayHackleRods »

Definitely looks like a brad. I assume you are saving the seat for another rod. Take a pair of calipers and measure the diameter of the brad then gets some pinning wire that diameter for the next rod. I pin all my butt caps and ferrules with bronze wire.
Regards,
Lee
http://www.grayhacklerods.net
lee@grayhacklerods.net
Monument, CO
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm.
Patrick F. McManus

Jcrouse
Guide

Post by Jcrouse »

GrayHackleRods wrote:Definitely looks like a brad. I assume you are saving the seat for another rod. Take a pair of calipers and measure the diameter of the brad then gets some pinning wire that diameter for the next rod. I pin all my butt caps and ferrules with bronze wire.
Do you peen the end once the pin is in place or such? How do you make the pin secure and how do you keep the end of the pin on the outside flush and smooth without marring the hood?

burneyflyfish
Sport

Post by burneyflyfish »

Hey I've got some brass brads that I've been using on SB reel seats for years. If you send me a self addressed envelope I'll send you some(10) of them. Tom
burneyflyfish@gmail.com

Gnat
Sport

Post by Gnat »

I would consider straightening that nail and using it again. You might be able to straighten it in a vice or tap on it with a small hammer against a flat piece of metal.

Jcrouse
Guide

Post by Jcrouse »

I will find some or reuse that brad. I am curious about how you do pinning with wire if you’d like to explain.

GrayHackleRods
Master Guide

Post by GrayHackleRods »

When pinning I first put a small strip of masking tape over where I want to pin then drill my hole. I drive the pin in with a 4 oz. peening hammer and using flush cutters, cut the pin at the ferrule/butt cap. Take the peening hammer and gently peen the pin flush then with 6 cut jewelers files file the head of the pin. Then remove the tape and dress the head with micro-mesh touch up stick from Stew-Mac. If there are any slight nicks from the files the touch up stick will get rid of them. With the butt cap I put a pin on each side of the mortise and on the guide side for the ferrules which in turn is my registration mark.
Last edited by GrayHackleRods on 09/19/20 10:51, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Lee
http://www.grayhacklerods.net
lee@grayhacklerods.net
Monument, CO
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm.
Patrick F. McManus

Jcrouse
Guide

Post by Jcrouse »

GrayHackleRods wrote:When pinning I first put a small strip of masking tape over where I want to pin them drill my hole. I drive the pin in with a 4 oz. peening hammer and using flush cutters, cut the pin at the ferrule/butt cap. Take the peening hammer and gently peen the pin flush then with 6 cut jewelers files file the head of the pin. Then remove the tape and dress the head with micro-mesh touch up stick from Stew-Mac. If there are and slight nicks from the files the touch up stick will get rid of them.
Thanks so much!! Just the info I was looking for!

Adamsdry
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Adamsdry »

Jcrouse wrote:
09/18/20 21:01
How do I tackle removing this?
I have used a heavy pair of finger nail clippers.

D
"By the wood-shed is a brook. It goes singing on. Its joy-song does sing in my heart.”

Opal Whiteley

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”