Skin on top of spar varnish

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Gunpowder Angler
Guide

Skin on top of spar varnish

Post by Gunpowder Angler »

I trying to spar varnish on my second tip and I discovered that the top of my varnish is a "skin". How to do I remove this? My varnish is in a little bottle. Thank you, Derek

Gunpowder Angler
Guide

Re: Skin on top of spar varnish

I fixed it. I put my bodkin in the bottle and stirred the varnish. I should I store my varnish so this does not happen, again? Thank you, Derek

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

Oddly, my litre can of Interlux doesn't develop a skin, but small bottles that I work from skim quickly. I either store them upside down (if they seal perfectly) or just break through the skim and pour a bit out to work with.
I avoid disturbing the skin as much as possible to minimize debris.

Trout120-1
Master Guide

Post by Trout120-1 »

Squirt a little Bloxogen under the lid before you cap tightly.

Gunpowder Angler
Guide

Thank you. Would Obloxygen be good to use with Flexament and Loon Hard Head?

Trout120-1
Master Guide

Post by Trout120-1 »

I don't know. Use it for any kind of heavier than air situation. You can try it.

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

I have taken to Stop-Loss bags to store all kinds of varnish and Tru- Oil, no more skinning nor waste, purchasing in quart cans/ bottles makes more $$ sense.

Malcolm

Middleton
Sport

Post by Middleton »

A shot of "air duster" like you use to blow off keyboards will work too. Just need to keep oxygen away from the varnish.
“Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

cheers,
Frank

6tUc05
Master Guide

Post by 6tUc05 »

" Would Obloxygen [sic] be good to use with Flexament and Loon Hard Head?" I do not know about Loon Hard Head; but; the answer about Flexament is, NO! Flexament is a two-part epoxy, and the two parts have to come in contact with one another for it to "cure". Oxygen does NOT have a role in it's curing.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”