Old Monty/Chubb Wrap Pattern

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

sawtelle8
Guide

Old Monty/Chubb Wrap Pattern

Post by sawtelle8 »

I have an old 9’ Monty or Chubb that I would like to finish this winter and am hoping that someone would have a wrap pattern (or even a photo) that I could apply to the rod. I can pick out some of the ghost patterns on the pieces, and can see that it had a ~1mm X3 set of wraps for an intermediate pattern. But I'm having difficulty establishing the signature wrap and would like to have a full pattern for reference. In the pictures, you can see the Varney style reel seat (?), 5" sheet cork cigar grip, and the swelled butt. What isn’t pictured is the hanging ring guides and am guessing that should date the rod to 1920’s era (?). I’m also assuming that a classic black & red color set would be appropriate for this era.

Any help would be appreciated…
Sawtelle

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Old Monty/Chubb Wrap Pattern

Post by Gnome »

Red and black would be a good choice for thread colors. The sig wrap is very simple on your rod, one main wrap next to the winding check followed by a space it is then followed with a single trim wrap, at the end of the mortise (Not a classic swelled butt but a 12 strip butt) you have a single trim then a space and then the main wrap followed by another single trim wrap that is 50% closer to the main wrap compared to the trim wrap on the other side of the main wrap at the mortise junction where it goes from 6 strips to 12 including the hardwood. Very simple and not truly a signature wrap. And that is not a Varney style reel seat. a classic Chubb seat Yes.

hatch
Master Guide

Post by hatch »

I have an unmarked monty very similar if not the same as yours. If you send me your cell # I will send you pix. I dont know how to do it any other way. Thanks

sawtelle8
Guide

Post by sawtelle8 »

Gnome,
Thanks! Your description is consistent with the ghosting pattern that I"m seeing on the rod. In my mind, I was probably imagining a more elaborate signature wrap.

sawtelle8
Guide

Post by sawtelle8 »

Hatch,
WIll do it this morning & thanks for the help

Jacque Le Fluer

Post by Jacque Le Fluer »

I might be able to get you specific measurements and photos.

sawtelle8
Guide

Post by sawtelle8 »

Per Rex's request, I've added a couple of detailed pics of the ferrules and the reel seat next to the grip.

sawtelle8
Guide

Post by sawtelle8 »

Jacque,
That would be great & thanks

tapermaker
Master Guide

Post by tapermaker »

here is the butt wraps for a chubb made abbey & imbrie

sawtelle8
Guide

Post by sawtelle8 »

Tapermaker,
Thanks...I like the looks of that label on your rod, wish mine had one. If it's not to much of a hassle could you attach a photo of the wraps for a guide?

thanks again
sawtelle

tapermaker
Master Guide

Post by tapermaker »

they are all the same red w/ black tipping on outside edge only. Dennis

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Post by TheMontyMan »

Sawtelle, Nice find!

Your rod is uncommon for a few reasons.
  • Not many of their cedar inlaid (mortised) rods sported high end ferrules, though I have a couple of them.

The knurling pattern on the various hardware pieces is not a standard pattern, though I've seen a few similar.

I would put the age of the rod around the turn of the century, instead of the teens or 20's. Two reasons for this - Snake guides were being used on most of Montague's high end rods by around 1905 +- a few years. The extended length of the butt cap gives me a pre-1910 vibe, if not a pre-1900.
Here are a couple of samples of different ages and different wrap patterns for some of Montague's standard inlaid cedar models.

The top rod has hanging ring guides with red and pongee (or tan) wraps. It's probably not as old as yours, but still pretty old.
The bottom rod is a little lower quality, newer and has a typical red, tipped with black wrap pattern.

While I was digging thru my rods, I found that one of my earlier mortised rods had similar hardware etching as yours.

I hope this helps.

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

sawtelle8
Guide

Post by sawtelle8 »

Thanks Rex,
Based on the ghosting pattern on my rod, it looks like the lower rod in the above pics would be the best pattern to emulate.

Everyone, thanks for the help and will post some pictures when it's done.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”