Spey Rod Questions

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

StePhDen
Guide

Spey Rod Questions

Post by StePhDen »

Hi All,

I’m building a 9 ft 3 piece Spey rod with two tips. I’m about to cut scarf joints. Two questions

1: I may not have enough overlap to get the full 5 degree scarf on between the butt and mid sections. I could move the center of the joint down the rod lengthening the butt section, or cut a steeper scarf. Which would be better?

2: I was thinking about gluing the butt and mid sections together once I cut the scarfs but leave the mid-tip joint to be taped. I figure I can get closer to a single piece rod while still having the benefit of being able to switch between tips. I’ll be fishing the rod locally for the most part so I’m not as worried about transport.

Thoughts?

Stephen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishbum
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Spey Rod Questions

Post by fishbum »

Use ferrules if you want a one piece rod feel. Some who know me can remember when I hauled around a 13' one-piece spey rod on the outside of my truck. That rod now wears a set of ferrules. It was originally spliced, then glued together and then had the ferrules added because it was such a PIA to haul around. The ferruled rod feels like the one-piece version, not the spliced version.

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

I made some "one-piece" rods by scarfing/gluing the sections together.. They work well and are easy to transport as they are relatively short - 7'2''.. ;)
r :)

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

9 feet seems short for a purpose-built two hander. I remember that some companies provided an extended fighting butt to sort of turn a rod into a two-hander. Just seems short, that's all. Lots of 11'-ish switch rods out there, though. Hope it works well for you!
Gary

StePhDen
Guide

Post by StePhDen »

Yeah it is shorter but I’m building it for a specific line I have that is shorter/lighter more of a trout Spey line. So I’m not as worried about length.

I’m trying to stay away from ferrules because I’ve read and talked to people who have bamboo Spey rods with ferrules and have said the ferrules cause problems with misalignment as you cast throughout the day. I have a friend who has a custom build bamboo Spey rod. He said his ferrules fit really tight to combat the twisting during the cast that when he breaks down the rod often the ferrule unseats from the bamboo and he has to send it back to be reattached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toothybugs
Master Guide

Post by toothybugs »

Listen to Fishbum... the dude builds and fishes more two-hand cane rods than most of us will ever look at, let alone cast.
- NJG
(It's Nate, but I generally only sign my initials.)

Got loopage?
http://plumbrookrods.wordpress.com

mrampant
Master Guide

Post by mrampant »

You could always make a bamboo sleeve ferrule; positive fit, and easy to put/ take apart,
It would be worth a try if you don't have the length for a splice.
Cheers,
Mark
He who shall not be able to make a trout fly, after studying these diagrams and directions, must be deficient either in brains or in manual dexterity. : Edward Fitzgibbon 1853

CDCdun
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by CDCdun »

I think you should just experiment a bit on your own. Try the shorter splice joint and see how it works. Try to glue the bottom half and see how it works. You’ll never know until you try. And if it doesn’t work, you can start again. Regarding ferrules versus splice joints...fishbum has his opinions and they work well for him. There are also many bamboo spey rod builders who use splice joints. Bob Clay being one of them and I know he knows a thing or two about bamboo spey rods and fishing with them. The only way to really know is to give things a try!

Jake

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”