Here we go again.

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Teborods
Guide

Here we go again.

Post by Teborods »

This is a very aggravating topic but, I’ll start. Color Preserving.Five coats of al’s- passed the water test. Varnished the wraps- passed that test, dipped this morning with a final score of D- I have two other anidotes I’m going to try, flex coat and aero gloss. Is there a recipe out there that has been used with these two products?. Thank you in advance and I’m sorry for bring this 15 letter word up again. Tebo

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Here we go again.

Post by Tommasini »

It doesn't matter how many coats are applied , it won't work unless you fill the tunnels at the guide feet. I use 3 coats on the wraps, I then use a very fine brush to fill the tunnels on one side of the guides. Place the rod vertical so gravity keeps the CP in place. When dry apply to the other guide foot tunnel again keeping the rod vertical until dry. You can then dip.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Just in case you haven't read or been told this before, the appearance of the issue when dipping comes from the pressure within in the dip tube--it will find any chink in your CP armor. Typical points of entry are the guide tunnels just mentioned, wrap edges where the CP has not been drawn over onto the blank, insufficient coverage on the thread itself, and any bubbles that may occur during the CP curing that, when they pop, may tunnel down through the wraps. There may be others. It is an interesting exercise to make some wraps and coat them with CP per your normal process, let them dry and then cut them off and look at the bottom of the wraps.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, How did the production companies do their color preserver; what was it, and how was it applied?

Jay Edwards

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

You could just dip the rod without guides them wrap CP and over varnish.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Kermit, on this board, posted some information on his method of color preserving using Polycrylic. I hadn't tried that before and just used the method on my last rod with excellent results. If you haven't tried it, I would suggest you do.

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Sent Teborods a PM.

DonT
Master Guide

Post by DonT »

In the continuing bleed-through battle I have learned two important things in additional to sealing the tunnels, which is obviously critical as already mentioned. One is that I cannot thin the varnish when putting the first couple coats of varnish over the CPed wraps. The second is that I cannot begin to sand the warps until there are at least two maybe three coats of varnish on the wraps that have first cured for several days and the sanding I do is careful and minimal. It's easy to abrade away the high spots until you have little gaps where the varnish will penetrate through the threads. I do use thinned varnish on my final coats but I pour rather than dip so the bulk exposure is a lot less and there is no liquid pressure on the wraps as in a tube. FWIW, I use an epoxy undercoat for most of my personal rods so I don't have to worry about this.
Don Titterington
Desert Canyon Rods
West Linn, OR
Repairs/Renovations
Custom Builds

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I don't have much trouble with bleeding. I use very thin lacquer to saturate the wraps completely, and then wipe it off with my finger and kinda pressing it it. Twice is enough..... I think they sprayed.......

Jay Edwards

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

On the Minwax Polycrylic as a CP. When you use the poly as a CP and also dip the wrapped rod sections in the poly, there will be no bleed through, as the underlying substrate is the same thing. That is why it works so well. I use this method on rods that have multiple intermediates. It works!

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=125618&p=856002&hi ... ic#p856002
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”