Cracked male ferrule

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

fishbum
Bamboo Fanatic

Cracked male ferrule

Post by fishbum »

While working on rebuilding a rod I discovered the male ferrule on the mid section was cracked. It is hard to see but the crack goes full length.

Spent yesterday afternoon drawing a new one from NS sheet. The new one is still on the mandrel so it can be put into a collet on the lathe and lapped.

Many classic rods used deep drawn ferrules. It takes a fair investment in time and equipment to produce these ferrules but I think those that have made that investment will tell you it is worth it in the end.

Thanks for looking,

Jerry

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Cracked male ferrule

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Really nice...... I talked to Paul hightower about the Phillipson/Granger/ WM ferrule process years ago, but I don't remember much...
I needed to replace a customer's Phillipson on a Phillipson, and I thought I could make a soldered three piece, but after getting the ferrule off I realized I'd have to turn some bamboo off. I didn't want to do that, so Rick's Rods came to my/his rescue.

Jay Edwards

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”