Custom Ferrule Manufacture

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Custom Ferrule Manufacture

Post by mer »

So you could put a heavy reel on and balance everything! Awesome.

avyoung
Master Guide
Location: 36°12′S 147°15′E Victoria, Australia on the Mitta Mitta River.

Post by avyoung »

mer wrote:
11/19/20 09:45
Hmm. A 6 ft 4wt with a 127mm dia ferrule. I guess it'd be a tip actioned rod, no?
I wouldn't necessarily start with 127mm to make a 12/64th ferrule. That would make for a LOT of swarf. Thing to do is start with 8mm and go from there.
But if you WANTED me to and wanted to pay for it why not? ;)

All jokes aside though, I have the bronze in 8mm, 12mm, 16mm, 18mm and 25mm diameters. I can get it up to 127mm which I do on occasion for making pump valves etc.
The biggest ferrules I have made to date that I can remember were 26/64ths and I only needed to use the 16mm dia rod for them.
Any size at all is possible, I only need the right sized drills bits and reamer.

Prices go up depending on the size of rod required to make the ferrules.
Bronze prices are based on volume and as we all know the area of a circle is pi x radius squared so a small increase in dia makes a big dif in the price of the material. You REALLY don't want to buy 1m of 127mm! I know these things.
Weird sized ferrules are extra if I have to buy a reamer specially but you can have the reamer when I'm done with it if you want it.

tony

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

Thanks Tony, I'm not in the market but I was actually trying to make a joke. A 6ft 4wt with a taper that required a 127mm diameter ferrule, trying to imagine what that would look like on a stress curve.

Sorry if it fell flat.

avyoung
Master Guide

Post by avyoung »

mer wrote:
11/20/20 03:26
Thanks Tony, I'm not in the market but I was actually trying to make a joke. A 6ft 4wt with a taper that required a 127mm diameter ferrule, trying to imagine what that would look like on a stress curve.

Sorry if it fell flat.
Oh no, that's alright. I took it as a joke, I just didn't seem to convey that is all.

tony

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

avyoung wrote:
11/20/20 07:12
mer wrote:

Sorry if it fell flat.
Oh no, that's alright. I took it as a joke, I just didn't seem to convey that is all.

tony
I didn't understand your accent, that's what it was.

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

mer wrote:
11/20/20 08:20
avyoung wrote:
11/20/20 07:12
mer wrote:

Sorry if it fell flat.

tony
I didn't understand your accent, that's what it was.
Yeh, them fellas from Dow Nunda do talk kinda funny. Guess that comes from being upside down all their life. And then there's that strange game they call "cricket." :rollin

Mark

avyoung
Master Guide

Post by avyoung »

Lovely game cricket. It's the game they play in heaven when they aren't playing Rugby. :)

CDCdun
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by CDCdun »

avyoung wrote:
11/20/20 19:03
Lovely game cricket. It's the game they play in heaven when they aren't playing Rugby. :)
And they only play those when they’re not fishing...right?

Regarding ferrrule twist on spey rods, I think the “universal” composite ferrule would work well, I believe Bob Clays composite ferrules are based on those. Another option is a splice joint. No twist. I know they have their detractors, but most people love them.

Jake

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

mrampant wrote:
11/19/20 10:22
The ferrule is there just for the swing weight >:D
and to double as a priest...

StePhDen
Guide

Post by StePhDen »

CDCdun wrote:
avyoung wrote:

Regarding ferrrule twist on spey rods, I think the “universal” composite ferrule would work well, I believe Bob Clays composite ferrules are based on those. Another option is a splice joint. No twist. I know they have their detractors, but most people love them.

Jake
If I had planned this rod out better I could have spliced them. But there’s not enough room. Maybe next one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avyoung
Master Guide

Post by avyoung »

CDCdun wrote:
11/26/20 09:34
avyoung wrote:

Jake
Ideally, yes :)

tony

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”