Question for Bertram Multi-Track owners

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Question for Bertram Multi-Track owners

Post by 3creeks »

How effective is the taper feature on this beveler and how much set up is involved going between roughing and tapering? I'm having trouble conceptualizing how it can be used to do both so an explanation would be welcome if anyone could offer it. I'm rethinking my roughing under power as
I'm trying to minimize dust in my new garage, and this machine seems to be reasonable in cost and has both features with good dust control as well. Thanks in advance.

Jeff

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Question for Bertram Multi-Track owners

Post by BigTJ »

The taper fixtures are extremely effective. I use mine to get me down to about 50 thou above final. The cuts are clean and accurate as long as you have done good prep work on the strips.

Set up is minimal takes no time at all. If you want to see how it works you can download the manual. Dust control is easy especially if you add one of those dust cyclones in front of you shop vac.

https://quinchat.webs.com/Multi-Track% ... %205.1.pdf

The roughing fixture are held by a pin they come right off. The fixtures then slide on the underlying base. l just need a bit of excel time or graph paper and careful thought on where to place the strips in the carrier and how much to cut. Using the manual and taking my time with a practice strip it was really easy to figure it all out. The machine is really great and user friendly. Plus Dennis can help you if you struggle at first.

Good luck,

John

Livingstone
Master Guide

Post by Livingstone »

+1 for John's reply, the only thing I may add is I limit my cuts to no more than twenty thou. at a time. Other than that enjoy the process. Livingstone

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

Gentlemen- Thank you for this information it is extremely encouraging and helpful.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Good point Livingstone. Add to that I like to make my final cut around 5 thou and will flip and make and extra pass at the end.

It is a great machine and does great scallops for hollowing too.

John

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

I just ordered mine this morning. Thanks again for the help.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

You are going to have some fun!

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

I took delivery of my Bertram beveler a couple of weeks ago and I finally got it hooked up and a suitable dust collection system as well. FWIW I got the Oneida Dust Deputy rather than making the home brewed version that Dennis recommends because it will be helpful in my woodworking as well.

All I can say after running a couple of strips through all of the various fixtures is wow! What an amazing machine in such a small package. I was pleasantly surprised that it was about half the size of what I was expecting. What an ingenious design to be able to take a split strip, flatten it and square it and make a tapered strip ready for final planing in very short order. I'm impressed.

Jeff

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Good deal - glad you like it. I use a dust deputy as well. It- along with my shop vac - are arguably the most important pieces of equipment in my shop.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

It's a great combination.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”