Ferrule shimming

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Phil13
Guide

Ferrule shimming

Post by Phil13 »

Dumb question, maybe. Does it matter if I use enamel or power fiber sections to shim a ferrule station?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

galt
Master Guide

Re: Ferrule shimming

Post by galt »

Enamel is brittle.

Galt
Know the reasons for your actions

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

How do you propose to make shims out of power fiber?

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

The fastest option I can think of is my multi track beveller with the flat roughing attachment. Those wishing to make life more difficult could use a hand plane and a 12” piece of MDF with a groove milled in it the required thickness. A chisel by hand, a jig in a band or table saw, a belt sander free hand would all work - the options are only limited by the imagination.

Gait is 100% right. If you have a beveller with a flat cutter, cut to width, take 6 thou off the enamel side, flip, then take down to whatever you need. Easiest to work with 14” sections so you can grab and push them and then cut them at the end to the 2-3” sections you need on a scroll or band saw.

5strips
Sport

Post by 5strips »

First, I want to make sure I understand the problem.

The cane diameter is undersized inside the ferrule - loose ferrule fit, and you want to build up the cane for a proper fit.

If this is correct, I had to come up with a repair at a ferrule station that worked well for me.
This was caused by overheating a ferrule that needed to be removed. The cane was damaged and needed to be turned down to unscorched cane

Turn the ferrule station down to clean material, then using a short section from a donor rod section of similar size, bored out to fit the turned ferrule station.
Glue the donor section with a high strength adhesive, making sure the glue joints are rotated to NOT line up with the ferrule station glue seams. All of this repair should be shorter than the ferrule, so not visible when complete

Once set, turn the ferrule station to the proper size

The repair has held and invisible on the finished rod

Hope I got the idea correct

Thank you
Kevin

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

The possibilities are indeed only limited by the imagination.

Wood would also work as does building up the section with thread - a very common hack.

John

Boise Bamboo
Guide

Post by Boise Bamboo »

A couple of years ago I helped a friend refinish his grandfather's Tonka Queen. When the ferrules were removed, it revealed a heavy layer of thread underneath as a shim. As John states above, it would seem to have been common on some production rods.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

i also have a production rod, this one, English, sold into the use market in the sixties, that had thread between the cane and the ferrule. I suspect that companies did what they needed to do to sell bamboo fishing rods when the world was embracing glass.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

using thread to shim ferrules has been done clear back to the early 1800s, to say it was because of glass is not true and misleading. Hard to beat a proper fit. AS BigTJ said it is a common hack and has been done for close to 200 years that I can confirm with no doubt and or speculation or hyperbole or exaggeration. The makers who did it include such notables as George Eaton and Maria Ustonson just to name a couple from right at 200 years ago.

NSA PDI Gnome

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”