Dented Reel Seat Tube

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Jcrouse
Guide

Dented Reel Seat Tube

Post by Jcrouse »

Hey all,

Anyone have any tips on removing the dents from nickel silver reel seats? I was thinking of using a wooden dowel sized just below the ID of the tube, but how to force it without denting or deforming the rest of the tube?

Any advice appreciated.

JC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Dented Reel Seat Tube

Post by Gnome »

A soft-faced hammer along with your slightly undersized dowel and make haste slowly, if really bad you may have to anneal the tube to allow the dents to be worked easier. You can get them out by working the dents with the SF as you slowly penetrate the tube with the dowel. Heat is your friend and enemy at the same time. Too much is bad and if it is a seamed tube I would say no heat. Re=soldering a blown seam is a whole other furball. Best of luck and you will get there!!

slide the dowel into the point it touches the first dimple and then gently start tapping it flat, just like a jeweler sizing a ring on a mandrel. work each dent in sequence and do not try to drive the dowel in, Bad things will happen, a bad experience with that one cost me a great Varney NiS seat by collapsing it beyond recovery.

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Dented Reel Seat Tube

Post by OldCane »

Shotgun barrel repairing is done with two tapered metal slugs that are screwed together expanding the dent while gently tapping on the outside.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

Jcrouse
Guide

Dented Reel Seat Tube

Post by Jcrouse »

OldCane wrote:Shotgun barrel repairing is done with two tapered metal slugs that are screwed together expanding the dent while gently tapping on the outside.
Sort of like a pipe swage tool I would suppose. This is interesting!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”