Prepping ferrule stations by hand

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

StePhDen
Guide

Prepping ferrule stations by hand

Post by StePhDen »

Hi All,

Looking for a good article on how to cut ferrule stations by hand. No lathe. Obviously I would rather use a lathe but that’s not in the budget right now. In my first rod I got my ferrules seated alright but I was using cheap ferrules. Now I’m working on a much nicer rod and want to do it right. Sorry if this has already been addressed. I couldn’t put the right search terms together to find earlier threads.

Cheers,

Stephen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

galt
Master Guide

Re: Prepping ferrule stations by hand

Post by galt »

Know the reasons for your actions

StePhDen
Guide

Post by StePhDen »

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

I've done them on a lathe, and I've done them by hand, and I'm fine with either method as far as ease. If anything, doing them on a lathe is more risky and it can go badly in a quick second. Following that linked article on doing them by hand will serve you well. I will say that having a lathe and ferrule station cutters is really helpful for seating step down ferrules.

Jeff

joehudock
Guide

Post by joehudock »

I fit my ferrules on the same rig I use to cut ferrule stations and final shaping of cork grips. Its a length of 1/2" copper tubing riding on 2 pairs of caster wheels. I use a twine cord belt that I rigged up for foot power using lead sinkers for the return stroke. The collet is masking tape wrapped around the bamboo shaft and stuffed into the copper tube. The other end is a torn piece of paper towel to keep the other end from flopping. TIR is about 0.025 inches but ferrule fit and station cutting are much better than by hand. Its a crude low power lathe set-up and plastic pipe would have worked as well but I had the copper tubing left from a plumbing repair project.

StePhDen
Guide

Post by StePhDen »

joehudock wrote:I fit my ferrules on the same rig I use to cut ferrule stations and final shaping of cork grips. Its a length of 1/2" copper tubing riding on 2 pairs of caster wheels. I use a twine cord belt that I rigged up for foot power using lead sinkers for the return stroke. The collet is masking tape wrapped around the bamboo shaft and stuffed into the copper tube. The other end is a torn piece of paper towel to keep the other end from flopping. TIR is about 0.025 inches but ferrule fit and station cutting are much better than by hand. Its a crude low power lathe set-up and plastic pipe would have worked as well but I had the copper tubing left from a plumbing repair project.

That’s a cool idea. I have an old motor from a belt sander I took apart. I might see if I can rig up some speed control and copy your setup.

fragmentum
Master Guide

Post by fragmentum »

Necessity is the mother of invention...

dkrismer

Post by dkrismer »

joehudock wrote:
11/21/20 13:37
I fit my ferrules on the same rig I use to cut ferrule stations and final shaping of cork grips. Its a length of 1/2" copper tubing riding on 2 pairs of caster wheels. I use a twine cord belt that I rigged up for foot power using lead sinkers for the return stroke. The collet is masking tape wrapped around the bamboo shaft and stuffed into the copper tube. The other end is a torn piece of paper towel to keep the other end from flopping. TIR is about 0.025 inches but ferrule fit and station cutting are much better than by hand. Its a crude low power lathe set-up and plastic pipe would have worked as well but I had the copper tubing left from a plumbing repair project.

I like the simplicity of this. I have been looking for a simpler way to lap the ferrules than spinning by hand with sandpaper, steel wool, and checking the fit every 10-20 rotations.

Dave Krismer

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

Joe, nice.
Almost like an old-timey spring pole lathe.

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

I’ve lapped some by hand a d it works fine. I switched to Grobet files and also lap the female ferrule. I lap off the rod on drill rod mandrels. The difference is dramatic and also much faster.
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”