Wax on top of varnish

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

dbeerbower
Guide

Wax on top of varnish

Post by dbeerbower »

Do any of you wax your rods after you have finished them? If so, what kind of wax do you use? Do you wax the reel seat too?

TSPEYFLY
Master Guide

Re: Wax on top of varnish

Post by TSPEYFLY »

Howdy
Yes to both your questions.
Folks around the forum like either Butcher's Wax and Renaissance Micro-crystalline Wax Polish.
Thomas

fisherman911
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fisherman911 »

+ 1 for Butchers' Wax. It's a little hard to find today, except on the internet, but a 1 pound can is 2 lifetimes supply for a rod builder/user. I use it on all my Orvis rods once a year plus on other rods depending on use. Plus I use it on reels and reel seats as needed. Good stuff.

galt
Master Guide

Post by galt »

Auto parts store, any paste wax containing carnuba wax, ie Turtle Wax brand. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Galt
Know the reasons for your actions

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

fisherman911 wrote:
11/22/20 13:00
+ 1 for Butchers' Wax. It's a little hard to find today, except on the internet, but a 1 pound can is 2 lifetimes supply for a rod builder/user. I use it on all my Orvis rods once a year plus on other rods depending on use. Plus I use it on reels and reel seats as needed. Good stuff.

Just curious -- why wax an Orvis rod? I don't mean my question as a criticism -- I wax varnished rods and would like to know if there is an advantage to waxing impregnated rods.

fisherman911
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fisherman911 »

I wax my Orvis impregnated rods because the wax removes the bits and pieces of dirt that they pickup and just makes them glow, especially the real dark ones from the 40's and 50's. So I would not call this an advantage but it sure makes them look good.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I use Minwax paste, if I use a wax.

Jay Edwards
Last edited by bluesjay on 11/23/20 21:41, edited 1 time in total.

Trout120-1
Master Guide

Post by Trout120-1 »

As Everett Garrison once said - it takes a good tung oil varnish at least 3 - 6 months to fully cure. I lean closer to 3 months before I wax a newly varnished rod. I found a superb paste wax using Maguire's Gold Class paste wax , It puts such an unbelievable shine on rod. Best I've ever seen. It's on the web but I also found it in Walmart at 1/2 the price !

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

fisherman911 wrote:
11/23/20 08:32
I wax my Orvis impregnated rods because the wax removes the bits and pieces of dirt that they pickup and just makes them glow, especially the real dark ones from the 40's and 50's. So I would not call this an advantage but it sure makes them look good.

That makes sense. Thanks.

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

Personally I have not waxed any rods of mine. These days I prefer to lightly rub Tru-Oil for a satin finish, so would want to avoid any possible fishy scaring gloss.

Malcolm

Bill Moschler
Guide

Post by Bill Moschler »

I wax. I like the look and feel. And I think the rod casts better because the line has less friction when it slaps the rod. I do not wax until I am sure I have all the finish on the rod that it is going to get.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

teter wrote:
11/23/20 02:41
Just curious -- why wax an Orvis rod? I don't mean my question as a criticism -- I wax varnished rods and would like to know if there is an advantage to waxing impregnated rods.
Lon:

For reasons unknown, some of the dirtiest rods I've ever acquired were Orvis impregnated rods. After a good cleaning with a mild detergent and a soft toothbrush, I wax using SC Johnson's Paste Wax in the red and yellow can and available at any Ace Hardware.
Makes a huge difference and helps keep the guides, wraps and bamboo cleaner during use.

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”