Line weight and a 2" Crack

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Baron

Line weight and a 2" Crack

Post by Baron »

I know this is not the fiberglass site but I'm not welcome there. My question is generic. I've acquired a 7'9' Wonder Rod Super Whacker....... well maybe not a super whacker but it is heavy and densely wound. I want to Re-wrap all the guides as the silk windings are sloppy and frayed. It should be very straight forward as the guides are still in nice shape.
So here are my questions:

1) it is a stiff fiberglas rod, seems like even power top to bottom and I think it will be nice for bluefish and other 4-8 lb fish. Weight wise It feels like it should handle a Medalist 1495 1/2 or other heavy reel loaded with 8 or 9 wt line. Thoughts?

2) it is lightly cracked on both sides 2" above the upper ferrule. Shall I install a spline or just cut it back past there and reinstall the ferrule?
I like fiber glass and so I feel it will be worth the work to have this as my "heavy" rod.

Best!
Baron

6tUc05
Master Guide

Re: Line weight and a 2" Crack

Post by 6tUc05 »

THIS IS BEST POSTED ON THE FIBERGLASS ROD FORUM, WHERE THE "GLASS" AFFICIONADOS RESIDE.

Baron

Post by Baron »

Yes I’m too well aware of that. But a year ago it seems I had too much zeal for info and was banishished by the moderator. They won’t let me post. I was hoping, since it is a generic issue and and since it will lead to the saving and using of anothe classic rod, that someone might gently take me asside and help me with this dilemma. If not I understand.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

Reel wise, I do not believe a Medalist would be a good idea for the salt unless it is one of the Pflueger Supreme's which were made for that.

That crack looks like it might have the potential to explode if you hook in to a nice blue or a false albacore. Fiberglass rods of that type are cheap enough to find another one that is in much better condition.

Similar acts might get you banned on this sight as well!

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I'd just wrap it with white nylon, use a slow set epoxy and rotate. I have a lot of Wonderods.

Jay Ewards

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”