At this stage of the game...

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

chalkystreams

At this stage of the game...

Post by chalkystreams »

Well I corrected some terrible angles I created during my first rough planing adventure and have a question for you guys... I don’t have enough planing or straightening/node flattening experience to know but have I made this more difficult by flaming the inner culm (Hayashida) and then working dry cane as opposed to soaking strips then straightening and doing nodes then roughing then strapping them to Harry’s fixtures and tossing them in an oven ? Thanks. Making progress anyway but the strips could be a tad more straight and I’m going to have to work on the nodes a little more.

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: At this stage of the game...

Post by canerodscom »

If you are going to heat treat in an oven there is no reason to flame the inside of the culm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chalkystreams

Post by chalkystreams »

Yeah I’m thinking that maybe the reason this cane is tougher to work than it would be if I delayed the heat treating until after I roughed. Then soaking may make it even easier to straighten and rough?

saddlemaker
Sport

Post by saddlemaker »

Take this with a grain of salt because I am planing my 3rd rod so not much experience here. On my last rod I soaked the cane for the node work and planing the ruff 60* and it was a huge difference compared to working it dry. Search soaking bamboo, there is a thread on the topic.

sanderson
Guide

Post by sanderson »

I also flame the culm, as well as flaming the enamel, and skip the oven. I've only made 12 rods, so not an expert, but the method has been around over 20 years, and I'd think someone would be preaching from a tall hill if there were long term issues with sets, flex, finish etc. As soon as I hear of a problem, I'll quit. Until then, I'll continue on.

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

I have made rods by flaming the outside and inside only, flaming then heat treating in an iron pipe, flaming only the inside for blade rods, and flaming them treating in an oven. I haven’t seen that any method is superior to the other. I have made 118 rods/blanks. The oven just makes the process more precise and prevents overcooking, which can make the bamboo difficult to work with
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”