Bamboo supplier links?

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Justin Parker
Sport

Bamboo supplier links?

Post by Justin Parker »

Hello all,

Is there a thread listing known bamboo suppliers?

Who do you prefer?

Thanks!

Livingstone
Master Guide

Re: Bamboo supplier links?

Post by Livingstone »

Get in touch with Dave at anglersbamboo.com. He is in Montana. Livingstone.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

+1 for Dave Serafin at Angler's Bamboo. Best guy and the cane is top notch.

To my knowledge we're down to just Peak Bamboo and Angler's Bamboo for suppliers of Tonkin.

Justin Parker
Sport

Post by Justin Parker »

Has anyone used the Golden Witch bamboo?

kentuckyjim
Guide

Post by kentuckyjim »

I bought some last summer. Cane is graded pretty well so you can use what you buy in the better grades. Never have used the lower grades so I can’t say how much isn’t usable. It comes 4’ 6’ or 12 ft. I bought half 6’ and half 4’. I think. This has reduced waste for me. There are/were times when you can go to there warehouse on weekends and pick up your order. If you are within a reasonable distance this is a big money saver.
One more very important thing. You are supporting a business that has been providing expert advice and a complete inventory of supplies geared to bamboo rod building for more than 20 years. You can order every thing you need for a complete rod and pay only one shipping charge (unless you forget something)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

I bought a lifetime supply of larhe dia culms from Dave 3 years ago the stuff is pretty nice. I also got a couple bales of cane from bamboo broker just before they folded it was sad to see them go but Dave will carry the torch.

Good luck,

John

Phil13
Guide

Bamboo supplier links?

Post by Phil13 »

Justin Parker wrote:Has anyone used the Golden Witch bamboo?
I’ve used it, but I am an inexperienced maker. Only have used the A and A- grades. The last culm I split was great!
Russ is a great customer service guy too. He helped me (through emails) to get my first rod done. I have since finished my second and am starting on my third.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Phil13 on 03/03/21 13:56, edited 1 time in total.

chsparkman
Master Guide

Post by chsparkman »

Russ and David are both great guys and great to work with.
...as for us we pin our faith and fealty to the silk-wound PENTAGONAL rod cunningly yet simply devised of its FIVE subtle, individual triangular strips of cane throughout...

Holden, George Parker. (modified by me) Idyl of the Split Bamboo

Redwing
Sport

Post by Redwing »

Bought my first order from AnglersBamboo, excellent customer service. It's like buying from your local Hardware store. I'm new at this, so far all the folks in the industry have treated me like I was their neighbor. Even you guys.

sanderson
Guide

Post by sanderson »

Redwing wrote:
03/05/21 17:57
Bought my first order from AnglersBamboo, excellent customer service. It's like buying from your local Hardware store. I'm new at this, so far all the folks in the industry have treated me like I was their neighbor. Even you guys.
+1. this small industry seems to have "helpfulness" imbedded in it's DNA.

sweetgrass

Post by sweetgrass »

I have bought and built rods using bamboo from NaturalmateriaStudio on Etsy and am quite happy with the results. Do you have any other recommendations for Tonkin bamboo vendors?

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

I just purchased from Anglers Bamboo. Great service
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”