The culms arrive!

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

k7zbob
Guide

The culms arrive!

Post by k7zbob »

After all that angst on my part about moving 3 bundles of Andy Royer 12' culms to my condo garage from Anthem to Gilbert, AZ, our son just strapped them in his pickup truck the way the mattress company where they were in storage transports carpet rolls - butt end in the far end of the bed and the tip end across the top of the cab.

So, no cutting in half and they slid right in to the storage racks as you can see in the photo.

And when we unloaded his truck, the neighborhood roadrunner came by for a look...

Bob

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: The culms arrive!

Post by BigTJ »

Good deal. Glad it worked out.

Lee Koch
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Lee Koch »

When you cut off that plastic and cut the packing straps around each bundle, expect to be awakened in the middle of the night by load BANG!s, as the culms split as they dry. :-)

trland
Master Guide

Post by trland »

And a Black Widow or two after they're left in that garage in Arizona!

k7zbob
Guide

Post by k7zbob »

It's the scorpions that really cause trouble - but that's where the roadrunner comes in...

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Gott'a celebrate! Be sure to 'split check.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSosQRiXiPw

Jay Edwards

k7zbob
Guide

Post by k7zbob »

Lol... great song!

They split on their own when they were up in Michigan in my garage up there - at least the ones I can see in the wrapping - one split is visible thru the plastic in the photo. Hopefully they all are, otherwise, what the man said... this condo is a loft with two townhouses in the same unit, so if they start popping off like .22's it will probably bring the town's finest in a hurry.

L Swearingen
Sport

Post by L Swearingen »

So what does Roadrunner taste like ?
Chicken.........maybe a tough pheasant ?

Larry Swearingen
http://planingforms.webs.com

k7zbob
Guide

Post by k7zbob »

Hi Larry - well, apparently, nobody really knows what they taste like. https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/wha ... taste-like does a pretty good job of explaining why, and, of course, they are a protected species.

I am not keen on eating anything that eats rattlesnakes, myself, although I did try fried rattlesnake at the Rustler's Roost restaurant here in Phoenix one night. Actually two different nights. The first go around it was bitter and nasty, and the second time - not much better.

One afternoon driving home by the Gateway airport nearby (the old Williams AFB) I saw a mature roadrunner with a rattlesnake in its mouth, banging it up and down in the dirt on the side of the road.

Tenderizing that tasty thing before eating it, I guess...

BTW - I really appreciate that planing form I bought from you many years ago.

pryanboi

Post by pryanboi »

Hello K7Zbob,

I just retired to Arizona from the Boise area and went through the same exercise. No more trying to heat the shop just need to cool the garage!

Best of luck.

Pat

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”