Wood lathe help

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Wood lathe chuck help

Post by LeeO »

There are all kinds of options as far as a mortise goes. I cut all of mine by hand and plan to add a tutorial to the forum in the very near future. Here is an example of a hand cut mortise in both the insert and hardware

Another one

I do cut my inserts on a metal lathe but a wood lathe might actually be a better option
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

6tUc05
Master Guide

Post by 6tUc05 »

I would expect the coiled plastic coated wire device to only "dampen" whip as it will not effect a snug "fit" to the rod; whereas, the "guillotine" device with the three rubber edged wheels will apply pressure to the rod, firmly holding it in place, and concentric if properly aligned. In either case, one can prevent damage to the rod at the contact points by adequately covering that area with masking tape.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

This is my steady rest that allows for various diameters.

6tUc05
Master Guide

Post by 6tUc05 »

Your apple should make some very nice inserts. Yes, there are commercial products made for coating fresh cut wood to prevent checking while drying; but, you can buy a truckload of canning paraffin wax for the price of a gallon of this stuff. And, the wax should be available in the canning goods section of your favorite super market. (No need to pay S&H on it!) A gallon of a exterior latex paint is also much cheaper. If you use wax, BE SURE you have WRITTEN PERMISSION from your significant other to use one of HER pots to melt it in! When molten, it readily "paints" on.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

6tUc05 wrote:
03/12/21 10:03
I would expect the coiled plastic coated wire device to only "dampen" whip as it will not effect a snug "fit" to the rod; whereas, the "guillotine" device with the three rubber edged wheels will apply pressure to the rod, firmly holding it in place, and concentric if properly aligned. In either case, one can prevent damage to the rod at the contact points by adequately covering that area with masking tape.
You would be surprised how true it turns. The rod seems to self center there is almost no vibration it turns almost as well as if it were in a bearing. You push the wire down a bit so the top part contacts the blank when it is centered.

Wish I could take credit for it. Story I heard is a big name graphite rod company used this setup for years.

Zero need for masking tape either. The wire will not mark the blank.

John

PlaneOldMike
Guide

Post by PlaneOldMike »

First addition. Couldn’t find the chuck I wanted in the right thread pitch. So it’s going to have to be on a faceplate. I’m sure it will come in useful for turning bowls or something.

I hope beeswax will work. Got it all sealed and stacked away.

Just a guy, trying to build a tool.

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

You can also turn spacers on a drill press
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

PlaneOldMike
Guide

Post by PlaneOldMike »

LeeO wrote:
03/12/21 08:35
There are all kinds of options as far as a mortise goes. I cut all of mine by hand and plan to add a tutorial to the forum in the very near future. Here is an example of a hand cut mortise in both the insert and hardware.
I do cut my inserts on a metal lathe but a wood lathe might actually be a better option

I am eagerly awaiting this planned tutorial Lee. I’ve been admiring your inserts for a couple of years now. ;)

Don Andersen
Master Guide

Post by Don Andersen »

This was a simple solution to support the rod.
The cardboard box has served over 250 rods. The box has a bunch of 44 cal lead balls in it for ballast.

Last edited by Don Andersen on 03/13/21 10:32, edited 1 time in total.

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

That is my speed Don. I’ll probably make one of those
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Very nice Don I love it.

To the OP - you might be able to bolt a chuck onto that adapter plate or have one made. But then again it might be cheaper to just buy another used lathe when all is said and done.

Your beeswax treatment will work. I’ve used melted paraffin it works too. It’s just a bit messier when you deal with it later running the wood through the bandsaw that’s why I like paint.

6tUc05
Master Guide

Post by 6tUc05 »

You have properly coated and stickered the apple for proper drying. Now, just kick back for a year or so to let it dry. You should wind up with some great insert wood to work with.

I am surprised that you can't find a chuck to fit the spindle of your lathe. Especially so since your lathe is a Craftsman. Where did you look for one? In addition to suppliers to the wood turners, such as Craft Supply in Oregon, or Penn State Industries. I would venture that either of these two purveyors wold be able to help you find what you are looking for. If not, I would also check with industrial supply companies such as REX, ENCO,or AIR GAS (Rutland Tool Division). Craft supply is one of the oldest wood turners supply companies in the US and has a very complete line of tools, accessories, etc. Incidentally, they are the only supplier I am familiar with that sells a "plastic" washer to put between the head stock and any thread-on attachment you might employ. They definitely help prevent "lock-up" of said attachments to the spindle, and are well worth the couple of bucks investment. (NFI!)

The face plate will not be of much, if any, use for insert turning; but, is JUST what the Dr. ordered for bowl turning! Your spur drive should suffice for inserts.

PlaneOldMike
Guide

Post by PlaneOldMike »

I can find them online. I just really like to support local first. I ended up finding a three jaw that “should” mount to the faceplate. It’s 4 bolt and so is the face plate. It is 4”, so is the faceplate. Fingers crossed.

Don, That box has paid for itself by now I’m guessing. ;) I like it!

6tUc05
Master Guide

Post by 6tUc05 »

Good luck with the new chuck. I have a very nice 3-jaw that I had to have a welder make a back plate for that I screwed a very small face plate to to make it useable on my lathe as it did NOT have a screw-on fitting. It works GREAT! (Like yours, my lathe has a threaded spindle for chuck attachment.)

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

You might also look for a Jacobs Chuck threaded to fit your spindle. Garrison used a Jacobs Chuck for ferrule work

PlaneOldMike
Guide

Post by PlaneOldMike »

jim royston wrote:
03/16/21 19:39
You might also look for a Jacobs Chuck threaded to fit your spindle. Garrison used a Jacobs Chuck for ferrule work

I have one on the way for the tail stock from an online purchase. It will fit the spindle taper as well.Just playing the waiting game now.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

For the headstock, you can buy a Jacobs Cuck that will screw onto the threads of you spindle,like the faceplate that you show which will allow you to pass section through the spindle li

PlaneOldMike
Guide

Post by PlaneOldMike »

These should help. They need a little TLC, but they are 10x better than what I’m using now.

Again, I’d like to say how thankful I’m am for all the amazing help you all give.

[url=https://postimg.cc/XZCMXVwv]Image

galt
Master Guide

Post by galt »

Life just got easier!

Galt
Know the reasons for your actions

6tUc05
Master Guide

Post by 6tUc05 »

You are now "in business" with a very nice set of the basic tools.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”