Which restorationist can rebuild a tip true to the (very rare) original?

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

maruoff
Master Guide

Which restorationist can rebuild a tip true to the (very rare) original?

Post by maruoff »

I have recently acquired an extremely rare rod from a European rodmaker who is albeit long gone.

His work is exceptional. Yet 1 of the 2 tips has a repair wrap near the tip though and I discovered an as per yet invisible little edge splinter near the middle of the second tip (that was intact till then) after fishing the rod. No idea where it came from. Rod has not been fished for many years so maybe it was just the stress of fishing.

My question now would be if there is a restorationist out there who could rebuild a tip true to the originals, so I have fully intact new tip that I could use for fishing?

There is no rodmaker I am aware of in Europe who could replicate this work.
Wonder if there is someone in the US who could even copy a ferrule, make or get the proper guides and basically match the colour and everything else identical to the original tips?

I know this is a long shot but I am just wondering :-).

I know there are people out there who can replicate Leonards, Paynes etc.. Plus there is probably hardware still available of these companies from deceased rods.

Not so with the rod in question so it basically would have to be copied from scratch.

Thank you for your comments (will of course have an overwrap done and fish both tips :-))!

jan96
Master Guide

Re: Which restorationist can rebuild a tip true to the (very rare) original?

Post by jan96 »

Marcus, I'm assuming that you're talking about Brunner rod.. I wonder what happened to his shop? Isn't there a maker ho use Brunner's tools for making rods in his style?!
r :)

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

I suggest contacting Robert Stroh (http://www.rs-flyfishing.com/index.php/en/) in Grünwald (near Munich).

Tim

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

I’d consider Callum Blackstone who used to build bamboo rods at Hardy.

maruoff
Master Guide

Post by maruoff »

Thank you all for your answers!
Robert Stroh is indeed an obvious candidate for sure, thanks for the reminder. Difficult to get hold of him at times but would surely be a good person to ask.
Callum Blackstone might indeed be another option. Both rodmakers would probably charge much more than the rod itself has cost :-D but might be worth it!

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Probably better to fix the existing tip than have another built. If it’s just an edge splinter another invisible wrap would do the trick. A repaired original maker tip still has decent value. A new tip from somebody else will set you back several hundred dollars and won’t add much value to the rod.

tiptop
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by tiptop »

I agree with BigTJ. And not all splinters need to have an invisible wrap. A skilled builder may be able to glue down the splinter and do a spot touchup of the varnish that should be invisible. Even the tip that has the invisible wrap could be unwrapped and evaluated. It's possible that even that could be repaired without the need for an invisible wrap. Invisible wraps will impact the monetary value of a rod but the rod's function should still be 100%. Plus, if you never sell the rod, consider it a battle wound that contributes to the karma of the rod. :)

maruoff
Master Guide

Post by maruoff »

Thanks all for your advise. I think you are right. I will only have the rod repaired first. If one of the tips fail I will then have a new one made just for safety as its a one-of-a-kind for this well known rodmaker.
I think it will need an overwrap as the area is quite small but broken relatively straight and straight on an edge where high stress is put on when fishing it. Will keep you informed in case it breaks again :-)! Keep fingers crossed it will never break again! Take care!

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Usually tips got broken because either carefulness (tip against the car door, etc.) or the angle of the rod held during a fight is too 'high up'. But of course you knew that! :)

Good luck with the repair and let the rod shine many more years!

findwolfhard
Guide

Post by findwolfhard »

Is it the rod from Brunner? It can easily repaired, just following his own methods.
Best regards Wolfhard

DutchWim

Post by DutchWim »

As a sidenote: I don’t think Calum will be overly glad being called Blackstone, so perhaps we should stick to Gladstone instead :)
Last edited by DutchWim on 09/19/21 01:44, edited 1 time in total.

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

Religious overtures to restorationist.
Last edited by oddsnrods on 09/19/21 16:17, edited 1 time in total.

Anders Johannesson
Sport

Post by Anders Johannesson »

Is the ferrule cracked or just loose?

The Can very often be refitted.

Snakes are not that tricky normally to produce.

The bamboo itself is probably the easiest.

Perhaps a full varnish over the butt section as well.

Is the maker confirmed as Brunner, Steyer Austria?

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”