MHM Accessories Question

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

dorenac
Master Guide

MHM Accessories Question

Post by dorenac »

Have been looking at two MHM accessories and wonder if they are effective and worth the expense. One is the enamel scraper & flattening tool and the other is hardened steel angle hold down. I have my own methods of doing both tasks right now but am curious if either or both of the accessories might do a better job. Thanks

samsonboi
Master Guide

Re: MHM Accessories Question

Post by samsonboi »

I have the flattening tool; I did damage one end of one of the two grooved anvils provided so I shortened it a bit. It works OK but I generally prefer doing it by hand in a wooden fixed form.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

GrayHackleRods
Master Guide

Post by GrayHackleRods »

I have them both. The hold down alleviates tearing the bamboo at the screw however there are other ways to hold the bamboo. I use the grooved anvils but do not use the spring plunger, instead I use the flat cutter head. Again there are other ways of removing enamel, I happen to like this setup. The only way you’ll know if you like is to try it, everything we say is totally subjective to you.
Regards,
Lee
http://www.grayhacklerods.net
lee@grayhacklerods.net
Monument, CO
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm.
Patrick F. McManus

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

I rough bevel using a power mill and use the hold down tools to secure the strips to the handmill. I like the added security, but they are not necessary or critical. As far as the enamel scraper goes, I helped Tom with the testing on this before it was put into production. It works well, however, I rarely use it. The amount of time it takes to set up is greater than the time it saves in the process. It' is a good tool, but there are other methods that deliver similar results with less time invested.

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

Oh yeah forgot about the hold down. I have that as well, I use it most on strips that have split a little bit so they won’t go any farther. Even if they do split fully you can wrap the end with tape and put the hold down on.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”