Restoration of an old H L Leonard fly rod

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

luckyguy

Restoration of an old H L Leonard fly rod

Post by luckyguy »

I have inherited an HL Leonard fly rod which I believe to be about 100 years old. It was my wife’s great grandfather‘s rod. It is in pretty good shape but one guide is slightly loose. I would like to have it restored so that I could fish with it. I have no idea what weight of line it would take and I’m hopingThat the person who restores it would be able to help me on that account. I live in Huntsville Alabama and would prefer to deliver it in person but would be willing to ship it to a reliable restoration expert. Any advice would be appreciated.

60InchDV8
Master Guide

Re: Restoration of an old H L Leonard fly rod

Post by 60InchDV8 »

There is a PM nibbling on the end of your dangle.
Regards from the Restigouche....Jim

solo8232000
Guide

Re: Restoration of an old H L Leonard fly rod

Post by solo8232000 »

Chris Bogart restored an old H L Leonard 501/2 dry fly rod for me. He has a website: http://www.shentel.net/canerod/ He does great work. My leonard ws a real basket case..delaminated, cor grip shot, snake guides gone..but I just could not bring myself to cut my loses..I had to get that jewel in shape and on the water. Hal Bacon was the builder for Leonard to whom I first sent the rod. However, Hal became terminally ill and he passed the rod to Chris to complete..So glad Hal did that!!

He also resurrected an Edwards Quadrate #41 that was in worse shape than the Leonard!!

And to top it off he built a Heddon 20 5 wt Tribute rod for me..BTW, I'm not paid to sing his praises..He just does wonderful work!!!

Nathan

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”