E. C. Powell Question

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

carl otto
Master Guide

E. C. Powell Question

Post by carl otto »

Graphed out the measurements on a 9'0", 2/2, 4 1/2- oz., 5/64th's tip, 15/64th's ferrule, 6 WT., E. C. Powell, 1950's build. See graph below.

This is a very nice, smooth casting rod. Holds very tight loops (12"). You can feel the power of the cast down into the grip, but I would not call it "parabolic". One could fish this all day with a smile on their face

The actual rod graph runs above and below a B8 taper run off a 5/64th's tip over the length as shown. The tip follows closer to the taper created by a B8 taper off a 5.5/64th's tip. Then you get to the ferrule station and it flattens out. Closer measurements, at 50" above the ferrule it is .232" at 56" below the ferrule it is .233" and then in one inch increments holds that .233" number out to the 60" station. As you see the butt continues on along the noted model tapers but looks to regress as it gets to the handle. (Might explain the noted feel).

Is it a B8 or something else?

Any one else find this kind of "hinge" in Powell's they have charted? Common or not?

Carl

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: E. C. Powell Question

Post by BigTJ »

You will probably get some different opinions on this, but from what I can see, It looks like a B with a flattening of the taper across the ferrule and a beefed up tip to cast bigger flies and carry a ton of line without folding out. The step across the ferrule is very common. You may have missed the one I showed in the example I plotted up in your last thread.

If you take the average of the inter-station slopes minus the step across the ferrule and the first 15" that should give you themost accurate B taper designation.

I bet that is a sweet rod and can throw big bugs in the wind. It would absolutely jam out of a drift boat.

Cheers,

-John
Last edited by BigTJ on 04/01/21 10:45, edited 1 time in total.

trland
Master Guide

Post by trland »

Isn’t that sort of a “step up” at the ferrule instead of a typical step down? Is that an unusual design for Powell or other builders? I haven’t seen that done before.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Common for B tapers

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Common for a lot of rods. The ferrule is stiff. Slowing down the taper compensates for that stiffness. Splice jointed rods do the opposite they swell at the join.

I used the wrong terminology above that was confusing there isn’t a step in the ferrule. Corrected it. The taper is just slid horizontally at the ferrule.

John

trland
Master Guide

Post by trland »

Thanks John and cdmoore. I'm trying to envision what the ferrule would look like. If you made this taper would the ferrule have the same dimensions for the bamboo ends on the male and female or try to match it to that shift? Edit: I understand now. I re-read Carl's post and they are the same in and out of the ferrules (.232 and .233).

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Yeah and my use of the word step was confusing I made some edits. Step connotative change in dia a cross the ferrule. The step I was talking about was the flat spot in the taper. That was not the best.

Cheers,

John

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”