1st Rod - Issue with final Plane

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Redwing
Sport

1st Rod - Issue with final Plane

Post by Redwing »

Have a new Lie Nielsen Low Angle Adjustable Mouth Block Plane. Documentation says it's "flat ground" at 25* and sits in the the body at 12* for a total of 37*. Did some test passes and it seemed to work well. When I went to the strips I started getting fuzz instead of the curly queues. From what I've read the preferred angle is 50ish. So is with that 37* angle what's causing the fuzz?

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: 1st Rod - Issue with final Plane

Post by henkverhaar »

You want a 50 degree angle (I know I do) - so either regrind the iron to 38 degrees or exchange for a standard block plane. However, those fuzzies are unlikely to be the result of the plane angle (a too low angle will usually create lifts and such). Fuzzies, in my shop at least, are usually the result of an iron that is not sharp (anymore). You should probably review your sharpening routine...

Redwing
Sport

Post by Redwing »

@henkverhaar, you are correct, I took the blade out to take it Woodcrafters and it indeed had a burr across it. My guess would be from when after one side reached the correct taper the blade it pretty much riding on the steel form.

PlaneOldMike
Guide

Post by PlaneOldMike »

That’s exactly what happens. Once you start skating on the forms you dull a blade quickly.
Just a guy, trying to build a tool.

Redwing
Sport

Post by Redwing »

So the Rod Makers Groove is the bomb? If you can find it?

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Redwing wrote:So the Rod Makers Groove is the bomb? If you can find it?
Not for everyone. It works well for some, hardly at all for others. I have lots of planes but have done away with all grooved soles.

Harry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redwing
Sport

Post by Redwing »

So there is hope...

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

I used a box cutter blade to scrape strips down to dead even with form. Before that I drag my plane right down to the form. The process takes a lot of sharpening
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

canerodscom wrote:
04/03/21 18:58
Not for everyone. It works well for some, hardly at all for others. I have lots of planes but have done away with all grooved soles.

Harry
I use a standard block plane for all but the final couple of strokes then finish with a bridge city HP8, as previously introduced; the HP8 has ‘wings’ that can be lowered to effectively create a _very_ shallow groove...

Harry, do you still have one of those grooved plane lying around, or did you literally do away with all of them? Still looking for one, out of curiosity.

Redwing
Sport

Post by Redwing »

Got through it finally! Took several stops for Honing and some patience. Thanks for your input guys. On to gluing...

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

henkverhaar wrote:
canerodscom wrote:
04/03/21 18:58

Harry
I use a standard block plane for all but the final couple of strokes then finish with a bridge city HP8, as previously introduced; the HP8 has ‘wings’ that can be lowered to effectively create a _very_ shallow groove...

Harry, do you still have one of those grooved plane lying around, or did you literally do away with all of them? Still looking for one, out of curiosity.
I’m not sure if I still have a grooved sole plane in the shop. I have a couple of boxes with old Stanley and other planes, and maybe a Lie Nielsen (sp?) or two. I distinctly remember having milled down a few grooved soles on LN planes a few years ago. Would you like me to see if I still have one or two grooved planes in those boxes?

Harry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”