Southbend 47 Restore

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

greyreefer5
Guide

Re: Southbend 47 Restore

Post by greyreefer5 »

If you need a set of guides (New old stock) for either, let me know, I will send you gratis.

oldschoolcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldschoolcane »

I could measure the guides, but why? Just start with size 1's and transition into 2's and use a 3 until you get to the stripping guide.

esimko2021

Post by esimko2021 »

greyreefer5 wrote:
04/14/21 21:55
If you need a set of guides (New old stock) for either, let me know, I will send you gratis.
Yes please. Thanks That would great.
Ed
esimko@gmail.com

esimko2021

Post by esimko2021 »

oldschoolcane wrote:
04/11/21 10:10
Black/orange jasper, Gudebrod nylon size A. I have original rods, both the 47 and 59. I can get the original guide spacing if you need it.
Do you have the original spacing for this,? Yes please send it my way.

Ed

esimko@gmail.com

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

greyreefer5 wrote:
04/14/21 21:52
Here's a suggestion: There is very little demand or resale market for these rods because there are a million of them out there. I own them both. Experiment and choose a color combo you like and twist um up. No one is going to tell you did them wrong. Have fun, they are just fishing poles.
+1

Your refinished rod will fish much better and only you will care about the color of the wraps. You'll likely have ghosting from where the previous guides were, but if you notice them while fishing, you're not likely to take many fish. I like Snake brand guides with the flat feet. You can buy these from proof fly fishing along with brushes and a small vile of varnish and be all set.

esimko2021

Post by esimko2021 »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
05/01/21 21:24
greyreefer5 wrote:
04/14/21 21:52
Here's a suggestion: There is very little demand or resale market for these rods because there are a million of them out there. I own them both. Experiment and choose a color combo you like and twist um up. No one is going to tell you did them wrong. Have fun, they are just fishing poles.
+1

Your refinished rod will fish much better and only you will care about the color of the wraps. You'll likely have ghosting from where the previous guides were, but if you notice them while fishing, you're not likely to take many fish. I like Snake brand guides with the flat feet. You can buy these from proof fly fishing along with brushes and a small vile of varnish and be all set.
So I have the thread by i still need the guides.... I have used snake guides before and yes i like them too. I will take your suggestions. I am just not sure if 3 size 1's 3 size 2's and 3 size 3's are the way to go, plus i already have the stripping guide. How does tat sound ?

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Search guide spacing. There are threads with Tom Morgan's spacing (and sizing), which will get you close tape them on and see if minor adjustments are necessary.

Cheers,
Joe

esimko2021

Post by esimko2021 »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
05/02/21 13:50
Search guide spacing. There are threads with Tom Morgan's spacing (and sizing), which will get you close tape them on and see if minor adjustments are necessary.

Cheers,
Joe
Thanks nothing on here. I also checked the web and his only spacing chart goes up to 8.5 ft. I have a 9 ft rod

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”