Repairing a very small split

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Venerator

Repairing a very small split

Post by Venerator »

I am refinishing a SB 59. It is my first refinish. There is a very small split between two strips on one tip section. An inch long and very narrow. Should this be repaired and how. Thanks for any help.

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Repairing a very small split

Post by munsey w »

Try and spread it apart just enough to work in some glue (TBIII) bind over it with some string, wipe off excess glue. let it cure 24 hours, then clean it up. That should take care of the problem.

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

I think it needs to be checked first whether it is a true split (delamination) or just a gap/glue line (the result of less than perfect planing - or in this case more likely machining). If it's just a gap, it may not need any repair, as it will be cosmetic only. If it is a true delamination, then proceed as indicated by munsey...

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

The late Hal Bacon said that when he was at Leonard they would occasionally end up with a small opening on a seam. The quick fix was to smear a tiny bit of glue in the opening and then rub in some bamboo dust that was everywhere in the shop. But that was a fix for a minor cosmetic defect rather than an actual repair. Seam defects on most of those South Bends are uncommon. A seam issue on a 59 suggests neglect because the tips on those bass-action rods are rather robust, so a thorough inspection of adjacent seams is warranted. If it's near the ferrule, then the ferrule should be pulled to determine how far the opening has traveled.

Venerator

Post by Venerator »

Thanks for the replies. They clarified things. It seems to be a slightly thicker glue line as I can’t feel any edge.

danmassie1
Guide

Post by danmassie1 »

Titebond ultimate 3 carpenters glue works good. plus once you wrap it with a string you can wipe of the excess with a lite damp cloth, because it cleans up with water.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”