Overcooked cane

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Pterrano
Sport

Overcooked cane

Post by Pterrano »

Patience is a virtue and I learned that the hard way. Normally I let my oven stabilize for a good 30-45 minutes before dropping the strips in. I was in a rush last night and I put them in as soon as it hit 350f, which of course dropped the temp significantly and kicked the coil on too high.

Long story short- I roasted the strips. Not black, but brown on the 2 sides adjacent to the enamel. Much darker than I’m used to seeing after the oven.

What’s the consensus on how much damage is done with this kind of overheating? Is it worth finishing the rod? Scrap it and start over? Any insight would be greatly appreciated

eapling
Guide

Re: Overcooked cane

Post by eapling »

Bend them and see. Check each strip. You'll know soon enough.

E

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

I overcooked 3 all in one go back when I baked them in a pipe. Two didn’t make it one did. They bad ones crumbled when I loaned them. Hope the rod comes out - the one that survived for me is a gorgeous mahogany colored rod and it has caught tons of fish.

John

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

If you have enough meat on the strip, you will know when you start final planing. If the bamboo starts to crumble like ash as you plane, it's game over

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”