Orvis Battenkill Ferrule fit

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

alanburrows

Orvis Battenkill Ferrule fit

Post by alanburrows »

I have a mid 60's Orvis Battenkill 7 1/2' bamboo rod (2 tips). The make ferrules on both tips now go entirely into th female end. They do not come apart but they have been known to twist. Is there anything I can do as a non rod builder? If not, what are my options?

Thanks

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Orvis Battenkill Ferrule fit

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

They SHOULD go entirely into the female. If they are ever so slightly loose/not tight, you could use paraffin wax on the male when inserting. If this doesn't work, then it is time for a new set of ferrules, which I understand Orvis is still providing such a service.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

The female females can be shrunk a couple different ways and the males can be plated and re lapped - both cheaper and faster than the ferrules replaced. A forum search will quickly bring up your best options for having the work done if wax doesn’t do it.

Also - ferrules often will tighten up with oxidation with time or during more humid summer months.

John

6tUc05
Master Guide

Post by 6tUc05 »

If I correctly interpret your question correctly, the males are now stuck in the females and the sections will not pull apart, though the tips will move in the females the the sections are twisted. Is this correct? (TWISTING BAMBOO IS A NO NO!!) If so, there are various ways to try to pull them apart, one if which is the "behind the knee" method. Another is to use some sort of thin rubber pad in each hand to improve your grasp and pulling them apart. And then there is the homemade ferrule clamp approach. All methods can be found in prior posts on this forum.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

No, he said BOTH twist but dont come apart (not stated while fishing).

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

There is a shop in Vermont called The Silver Trout. The owner is a chemist and bamboo enthusiast that invented a lubricant called FerruLube. It works better than paraffin for loose ferrules. You can find them online. I have a couple of rods with the same problem and this stuff really works well.
www.thesilvertrout.com
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Clean, clean, clean, clean, clean..... Then see if the ferrules wiggle metal to metal while put fully together. You may have a 'gall' that prevents full insertion.

Jay Edwards

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”