How many coats of Gorilla Glue?

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

How many coats of Gorilla Glue?

Post by Shrimpman »

Hello,
I am considering finishing my first rod with GG Original and have three coats on a test section (under the grip). I haven't found any references as to how many coats folks are applying and would appreciate a nudge in the right direction. Thanks!
Kean

GrayHackleRods
Master Guide

Re: How many coats of Gorilla Glue?

Post by GrayHackleRods »

6 is probably sufficient but 20 looks better. Since you can put one coat on after another it really doesn’t take much time to get 20.
Regards,
Lee
http://www.grayhacklerods.net
lee@grayhacklerods.net
Monument, CO
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm.
Patrick F. McManus

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

Thank you, Lee!

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

I believe just a few coats are protective. Many people do 20. I sand my blanks with 600 grit before applying and sand between coats for the first few coats. I wind up doing around 15 coats
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

As the probable originator of this method, here is what I do. I make mostly 4-piece rods and apply up to 20 coats on the butt section and drop down over the other sections to somewhere around 6 to 7 on the tip. I go by the looks of the blank and not by the count of coats. As GrayHackleRods says, the application does not take much time and the stuff sets up hard in about 2 hours, so you can put on more than a sinlge coat a day.

Tim

sanderson
Guide

Post by sanderson »

Mr. Anderson has a detailed post on many sites explaining the process. I've used from 8 -20 coats on last 15 rods, kind of settled on 10 as my magic number, based on what I perceive as the appropriate amount of gloss/look that I like. I recently snapped a tip section on a light 3 wt., however, buffing more length of the rod than common sense would dictate....so go slow, and as Mr. Anderson suggests in his direction, buff only a few inches at a time, and perhaps, only toward the tip on the tip section.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

I guess you missed Tim posted right ahead of you!

I like to buff out gorilla glue with automotive polish. It removes any left over paper towel and you can tone the gloss up or down. Just go easy the finish isn’t thick you can break through if you aren’t careful.

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

Thank you all for your replies!

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”