Heat treating oven

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

The Doc

Heat treating oven

Post by The Doc »

Hi there,

I was wondering, whether anyone of you knows anybody selling a HEAT TREATING OVEN or has a 'how to' manual to manufacture one?

Any assistance is welcome!

Much obliged,

Gershom

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Heat treating oven

Post by LeeO »

Harry Boyd sells them
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

kenwey4534
Guide

Post by kenwey4534 »

+1 on Harry Boyd

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Thanks for the recommendation
Sorry guys but I can’t ship overseas. Shipping would cost more than the ovens. Besides, we’re 110v two prong here. Several different electrical connections are used in Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by canerodscom on 05/21/21 13:16, edited 1 time in total.

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

Gershom,

met een regelbare verfstripper kun je eenvoudig zelf een oven bouwen (a homemade oven can relatively easily be constructed based on an adjustable temp heat gun). Alternatively, if you make 3 piece rods, or nodeless rods, you can actually use a household oven for heat treatment... (Note that I have 90 cm oven, a small 60 cm oven will probably only accommodate splines for nodeless building...)

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

Following up on henkverhaar's note, here is the link to the heat gun oven many of us have made and use happily: http://www.fneunemann.com/index.php?id=40. Mine has an inch (2.54 cm) of fiberglass insulation around the outside held in place by a third metal tube.

Tim

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

Mine is even simpler than that - it's a long plywood box with a thick aluminium tube for the rod sections and a hole for the heat gun. The hot air travels through the box to the end of the tube (heating the tube from the outside before the air enters the tube, and exits the tube at the other end (of the tube), next to the heat gun opening. Insulation is on the outside of the wooden box (in a very improvised way...). I should build a better one some day, but it works well enough, so it is pretty low on my priority list.

The oven is used in horizontal orientation for heat treatment and in vertical orientation for glue and impregnation resin curing.

RWHoffhines
Master Guide

Post by RWHoffhines »

I'm with Henkverharr: make something simple and it will probably work fine and is easily fixable should one component fail. I've been using a mica-strip element since the 90s. But seeing as how the first one died a few years back, dread having to find another given my lack of acumen with electronics and finding the correct one! The idea of a heat gun system with plenty of temperature probes to monitor and get the settings right sounds like my next iteration when the time comes.

The Doc

Post by The Doc »

Hi guys,

First, let me offer you all my apologies for not reacting to your helpful recommendations earlier. One way or another, I simply forgot placing this message. Shame on me! Sorry, sorry, sorry!
Thanks ever so much for all your suggestions. I haven't solved the problem yet, but I'm getting closer and closer.

Greetings,

Gershom (The Doc)

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

I advocate the vertical heat- gun oven, plans of which I found in The Planing Form - although not sure which issue. With the assistance of a college tech. instructor pal of mine, we made a pair of ovens together some years ago now, complete with turned MDF base and 1/4" aluminium top. Made of heating duct sections, the larger being double walled and, as a refinement of the original plans, insulated- which is recommended to both even out and retain the heat. Three candy style thermometers probe to the inner chamber. After 20 minutes or so to warm up, the temperature is monitored with heat from the gun. The bundled sections are lowered in, suspended on binding thread, the loops of which pass through a table knife handle to hang from. I also place a fist size flat stone over the vent (and flat metal knife handle) while operating to further retain the heat, although not preventing circulation of additional air. The oven stands 62 " high with 8" diameter.

Malcolm

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, My first was a Garrison bomb type. It worked really well. I was gifted an mica one that also works well.

Jay Edwards

Bill T
Guide

Post by Bill T »

Harry Boyd sells a great one.

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

I also use the Boyd oven together with the extruded aluminum fixtures, it has been a game changer on my rods.

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Thanks for the kudos guys. I now have 120+ ovens out there in the bamboo world.

Harry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Doc

Post by The Doc »

Good tip, guys. Thanks.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”