delaminated fly rod sections

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

SKIPFOTO

delaminated fly rod sections

Post by SKIPFOTO »

Does anyone have trouble with repairing a delaminated bamboo fly rod? I am new to this subject but I watched Matthew Drafts videos on "Proof fly fishing" and noticed he was using a toothpick to open the section of delamination. I took the idea a bit further by using plain old Bamboo skewers. The idea being that the bamboo grain runs parallel to the length of the skewer, so you can shave thinner and thinner pieces to open the damage area wider and wider. It now becomes easy to insert the adhesive of your choice to bring the damaged rod back to a usable condition.
Last edited by SKIPFOTO on 08/28/21 11:31, edited 1 time in total.

SKIPFOTO

Re: delaminated fly rod sections

Post by SKIPFOTO »

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Anything fine enough and with enough strength to keep the seam open a little will work. Shaving the skewers was a good way to go. Hopefully, the strips came back together without a glue line, when bound up.

SKIPFOTO

Post by SKIPFOTO »

Here are pictures of the restored rod tip. I used raw silk thread to reinforce the delaminated areas. I think it has restored the original strength. There is a closeup of the silk bindings. I consider it not bad for my first attempt. There are lots of mistakes with the wrapping, but I am getting better.

Image[/ur]

[url=https://postimg.cc/jDSH8HR8]Image

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

As good a first go as any! ;) Have you cast or seriously flexed it yet? What glue did you use? I bet it will fish just fine.

TommyThomas
Sport

Post by TommyThomas »

I use sewing pins with large heads. Works very well and have never had to use reinforced wraps of silk. I sure wish people would dry their rods before rushing to the “watering hole”.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”