Polycrylic as color preserver under spar

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Chub

Polycrylic as color preserver under spar

Post by Chub »

I'm trying Polycrylic as a CP for thread wraps and will finish with spar varnish. If you have experience with Polycrylic, would you give me some guidance regarding the number of coats you use and the amount you apply each time. Right now, I'm thinking that two coats of thinned (50/50 water and PC) followed by one coat full strength will be sufficient. No idea about the amount to apply on the second and third coats. Thanks!

6tUc05
Master Guide

Re: Polycrylic as color preserver under spar

Post by 6tUc05 »

I only apply as much as necessary to leave a thin, but visible, coat over the thread. For me, this is a classic case of "Less is more!". I submit that you will recognize when enough has been applied when you see it. Not being familiar with Polycrylic, and it's "build-up", you might want to try a diluted first coat followed by a second undiluted coat. I recommend doing a "test wrap/coating" on a dowel, rather than first doing it on you rod, to see what it looks like when dry.

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

These are my results using Polycrylic as a CP, you might want to look here. (This is my thread "marinate" process which insures that the CP gets into every thread and nook under all guide wraps).

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=92549&p=686158&hil ... ic#p686158

viewtopic.php?p=902915#p902915

viewtopic.php?p=855942#p855942
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

galt
Master Guide

Post by galt »

You might want to give some thought as to how you will be applying the varnish top coats. I have found that when dipping rods,more attention must be paid to saturating the wraps with CP, possibly due to the length of time the wraps are exposed to the solvents in the tank and/or the pressure of the varnish in the tank. Brushing the varnish on the wraps seems to have less of an effect.

Galt
Know the reasons for your actions

Chub

Post by Chub »

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated. Kermit, your work is stunning. Great results! I can't match them, but I'm happy with the approach I laid out above. Many coats of thinned Polycrylic, followed by an exterior varnish overcoat. I'll be using Deft exterior water-based. Thanks again.

nunc
Guide

Post by nunc »

Mr Kermit, sir

after looking at your work, this will obviously be only a theoretical exercise for you, but … do you have any inkling as to how to remove poly should all not go as planned ?

I ran across an article on one of the woodworking magazine sites comparing shellac, varnish and poly … by Bob Flexner, if I remember correctly … that threatened great wailing and tears and gnashing of teeth in the event one might have cause to try to remove poly as opposed to the same for shellac and varnish. Are you able to speculate how to approach such with a bamboo rod … ?

they said I would never make it in poetry because I was dyslexic, but so far I've made two jugs and a vase and they look fantastic

Pterrano
Sport

Post by Pterrano »

After a recent bad experience with another color preserver I decided to give the Polycrilic a try. After one coat the wraps are not "color preserved", but semi-translucent. Guide feet and Ferrules are clearly visible beneath the wraps, although not as visible as they would be with just straight spar. I am disappointed to say the least, as I now have to re-wrap the entire rod.

I applied a generous amount and then a minute later wicked off all excess with a dry brush to leave just the bare minimum needed for saturation. I'm using a modern silk (kimono).

What went wrong here? Any ideas?

Franknrod
Guide

Post by Franknrod »

When trying out a new color preserver, you may want to wrap one or more guides on a dowel then do some experiments. This should reduce the chance of experiencing a crushing disappointment!
Frank Payne

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

Pterrano wrote:
10/05/21 10:13
After a recent bad experience with another color preserver I decided to give the Polycrilic a try. After one coat the wraps are not "color preserved", but semi-translucent. Guide feet and Ferrules are clearly visible beneath the wraps, although not as visible as they would be with just straight spar. I am disappointed to say the least, as I now have to re-wrap the entire rod.

I applied a generous amount and then a minute later wicked off all excess with a dry brush to leave just the bare minimum needed for saturation. I'm using a modern silk (kimono).

What went wrong here? Any ideas?
I'm not sure what your doing wrong with your application, but the Minwax Polycrylic Gloss Clear has never failed me. See my application proccess above.
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

cheffy
Master Guide

Post by cheffy »

I’ve used Kermits marinate process on several rods. Works great if you follow the instructions.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”