Cork Sealant Questions

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Scooter1942

Cork Sealant Questions

Post by Scooter1942 »

Not sure this is the best spot for this question…but here goes.

What’s the opinion on cork sealant such as U40 cork seal? I use all of my rods, both old and new, and I’m curious if these sealants help prevent staining and/or extend the life of cork? Are there any disadvantages such as chipping, hardening, discoloration, flaking, etc? Is there a product that is preferable?

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Cork Sealant Questions

Post by canerodscom »

I used some a long time ago - 20+ years. As I remember it did a nice job of helping protect the cork from dirt and grime. But it did darken the cork slightly and left the cork with a satin or semigloss look. Try it on a spare ring or two befor using it on a prized rod

Harry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

I can tell you that personally, if I look at a rod to purchase and the cork has been coated, I considered it to be a defect, and one that cannot be remedied.

Kevin
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

U40 is a good product and does as advertised. With that being said, what Harry said is spot on.

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

I use U-40 CORK SEAL but only on my new rod grips. Install the grip, all the reel seat hardware and winding check, let dry. Wipe down the new grip with DNA let dry, then apply the cork seal with a brush, let it soak in. Work it into the nooks then wipe it off at once, let dry. Apply only once. No matter what instruction or YouTube vid's you see, do not apply a heavy coat and let soak in and dry without wiping it off! If you don't wipe it off at once you will have that coated look and ruin it. It seals and protects the cork from normal handling. It leaves no trace of shine when used properly. I do not recommend it for old cleaned or dirty grips as it will seal-in any discoloration and grime.
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

desert_angler
Sport

Post by desert_angler »

I agree with Kermit. I have used U-40 on six rods over the past two years, with cork ranging from new to cleaned inexpensive vintage rods. Overall I have been pleased with it. Like others have said, I would carefully consider its use on a valuable rod, and it does slightly darken the cork. I have never had it leave a gloss or noticeable coating on grips...but keep reading.

OK, here is what I have learned. When the U-40 was freshly opened, it was very watery, almost like skim milk. Over two years, it has changed and is probably no good. Between the previous use a couple of months ago and this last weekend, it noticeably thickened. Now it looks like watery yougurt. I decided to use it anyway because it was for an inexpensive rod that I will fish. This time though, I wiped off with a rag immediately after coating the grip. It actually looks great. I can imagine the earlier uses when the U-40 was watery would have benefited from a wiping too.

I contacted U-40, and they said it sounded like it had gone bad because of the thickening, and implied it had a two to three year lifespan. SO, take a look at what you guys have used. If it's viscous and not watery, that could have also contributed to undesirable results.

Cheers,

George

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”