3 Broken Rods While Casting - Question

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

AlexP
Master Guide

Re: 3 Broken Rods While Casting - Question

Post by AlexP »

Mister Bill wrote:
09/16/21 16:59
It is so refreshing to find someone who breaks as many rods as I do (4 and 5 wts
Mister Bill !!!!!!!

We should get together sometime and test cast all our rods for a few hours! LOL

Tight lines

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

The chances that three rods, by three makers, breaking in the same manner, being construction related is close to non existent.
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

carlz
Guide

Post by carlz »

Alex,
We all would love to see a video of your casting. (so we can all give our opinions, we have so many).
I'm of the opinion that a new rod shouldn't break when casting the right weighted line, no matter what your casting style. An old rod that is in need of maintenance is a different story, but 3 rods... something is going on.

I am guessing it isn't the cast where the rod breaks that is the issue, but something earlier (hitting a grass snag on a previous pickup, dinging the rod on something, ....)

I have a silly question. Is there anything different in your storing of the rods? high humidity, low humidity, out of the tube on a rack?

Pwknauth
Sport

Post by Pwknauth »

I too, have had a similar experience and broke a bamboo rod just above the male ferrule. It’s an awful sick feeling when it happens.
My rod is 2/2, 7.5 ft with 5 DT weight line and I have used it a couple years. On this beautiful fall but fateful day I was fishing size 18 dry fly on my favorite stream when it happened. While lifting the rod into my backcast it “snapped or shattered”just above the ferrule. I did not have a snag or lose my fly; everything was seemed normal. I would not say I have an aggressive power stroke nonetheless it happened.
Thankfully, I have a spare tip.
Now, off to a professional for evaluation and repair.

tapermaker
Master Guide

Post by tapermaker »

I just want to add my 2 cents after remaking a new mid . upon inspection i felt the taper as well as the ferrules used combined w/ overstressing probably had most to do w. the break at the ferrule . The step dow micro ferrules were used. i feel that the pinning on the step down is too close to the tab area to resist the flex involved . the taper at that point was 20 thousandth drop from one section to the next . i adjusted the taper by 10 th. to thicken the blanks transfer to a smoother transition . i have heard its a little different taper ,but he still finds it satisactory as far as i know. i doubt he will break it again . Dennis

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”